How to improve the Nexus battery

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
dezymond said:
As I mentioned the only way to improve stock battery life is to turn off anything and everything automatic. Even then the battery life on a stock Nexus is mediocre at best

You can try an app like JuiceDefender, but I doubt it would help you much.

I ran juice defender on my thunderbolt and it nearly doubled the batter life . I hope this is Tue same. Any thoughts of maybe I need to break in the battery . The extended battery sucks I wonder what the regular batters life is

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can change the dpi back to 320 in the build.prop editor app. And device settings isn't for us. It's for the N7 I think. He said he'd remove it next build.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is insane battery life. I'm gonna flash it now

Did you change the kernel or just kept the one that came with the ROM?

Stock kernel also. It's imo's lean

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
syndicate0017 said:
You can change the dpi back to 320 in the build.prop editor app. And device settings isn't for us. It's for the N7 I think. He said he'd remove it next build.

Look into it when I get home. Thanks syndicate

edit: got it working, that was easy to find. I like the navbar smaller the way it is now, but what do I change to put it back to Nexus size? Never really dealt with build.prop app before

Nexus using Droid Forums

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look into it when I get home. Thanks syndicate

edit: got it working, that was easy to find. I like the navbar smaller the way it is now, but what do I change to put it back to Nexus size? Never really dealt with build.prop app before

Nexus using Droid Forums

If you want to change the NavBar dpi, I think you'll have to edit something within /framework-res/framework-res.apk. I'll look around though and get back to you.

Yep. Pretty much what I thought. It looks like you'll have to decompile the framework-res apk and actually probably the systemUI.apk. If I ever get my apktool up and running again, I'll take a crack at it for you. But I've been getting a bunch of brut.lib errors when decompiling. Hopefully the new apk multi tool will be up soon which will cure those for me.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm alright. Well if you want to take the time to figure it out for yourself lmk but if not no big deal. Most likely be on a different ROM by then.

Thanks

Nexus using Droid Forums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Hmmm alright. Well if you want to take the time to figure it out for yourself lmk but if not no big deal. Most likely be on a different ROM by then.

Thanks

Nexus using Droid Forums

Yea, run for the hills! :) I'd move on myself, yikes!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea, run for the hills! :) I'd move on myself, yikes!
Really not too big of an issue. I'll give it a week see if I can make do with these smaller nav buttons. I've missed a couple times because I'm still not exactly used to it, but most likely going to switch to another ROM. Since I flashed this one yesterday I've been wanting to try other ROMs, was on Jelly Belly for the longest time :D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Really not too big of an issue. I'll give it a week see if I can make do with these smaller nav buttons. I've missed a couple times because I'm still not exactly used to it, but most likely going to switch to another ROM. Since I flashed this one yesterday I've been wanting to try other ROMs, was on Jelly Belly for the longest time :D

Need better control of your sausage fingers?! :p Other roms are so tempting. I was about to go with Project Elite but got sidetracked by BAMF. I still plan to try them soon. Then maybe liquid! :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Need better control of your sausage fingers?! :p Other roms are so tempting. I was about to go with Project Elite but got sidetracked by BAMF. I still plan to try them soon. Then maybe liquid! :biggrin:
Nah I'm more like Yao Ming, got big hands:D

Maybe I'll check out some other ROMs later today. Still waiting on an official build by AOKP, maybe I'll give the nightly a shot

nleksan

Reaction score
IDK if it has been mentioned, but here are a few ways to help your battery last longer, rooted or not:
- Keep GPS OFF all the time! Only turn it on when you specifically have to use it for G-Maps or something
- USE WIFI WHENEVER POSSIBLE!!!
- Turn screen brightness down as low as you can stand; I personally keep mine at about 20-25% and it's plenty bright
- You need to "cycle" the battery a few times, hopefully the phone is still pretty new or it won't really do much.. Essentially, charge the phone to 100% then run it down to 0% to where it turns itself off due to battery dying; then LEAVE IT OFF and charge it without touching it or even thinking about it for ~4-5hrs, and once it is charged to 100% turn it on, and do this a few times... Doesn't have to be consecutive, but don't spread it out over a week either.
- Go to Settings - Apps - All Apps and "Disable" ANY apps you don't use, as a lot of them can run in the background without you knowing it
- Keep your homescreen as free of Widgets as possible, use icons instead (shortcuts)
- Use a DARK COLORED, STATIC WALLPAPER! NO LIVE WALLPAPERS!
- Turn off WiFi when you are on mobile data, or it will constantly search
- Keep "sync" turned off, and do it manually and only when you're on WiFi (helps save data too)
- Don't forget to "swipe away" apps you're done using, and also to "force close" them in settings - apps
- Restart your phone every 3-4 days to clear up the RAM
- Go through your list of installed apps, and if you see something you don't use that you installed (if you haven't used it in ~2-4 weeks), uninstall it
- CLEAR CACHE FOR APPS!
- "Disable" the "DRM Protected Content"(?) app under Settings - Apps - All

Oh, and make sure your camera isn't running by opening it when you first start your phone, then hit back, open the recent apps and swipe it away, then settings-apps-all and find "camera" and click "force close".

Hopefully these help a bit!

Universal

Reaction score
My battery life has improved dramatically since switching to Jelly Bean. The biggest difference I've seen is the battery life doesn't change nearly as much while the phone is idle.

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
So I figured out when in a poor 3g/4g area the battery is horrible. Being in a good signal area its completely different better. Just thought I'd share . I get just about a full day with the extended battery . Yay