How to get ringtones into DROIDX phone?

Ohmster

Reaction score
I had a Motorola SLVR forever and was real good at making it do what I want with P2KTools and Motorola Phone Tools. MPT was great, it not only synced contacts but transferred anything like photos, sounds, music, whatever, back and forth between phone and computer. It also Let you do and see SMS messages and manage contacts.

Now I have a Verizon Droid X (Wow, is this really a phone?) and I got the wireless setup with ES File Explorer app that is really cool for moving files between the computer, but anytime I connect the USB cable, I get this super noisy Verizon web page wanting me to install some sort of crappy Verizon software on my computer. I am very reluctant to do that, sounds like adware to me.

Motorola Phone Tools did a lot of cool stuff, it took big mp3 songs, let you chop them down with fade in/out and reduced the bit rate to like 56K, perfect for a ringtone, and let me upload it to the phone, then I could select it from the SLVR menu.

Although I have uploaded quite a bit of mp3 music to the Droid X, nowhere in the ringtone select menu does it allow for importing other mp3, wav, or any other sonds. How can I get my own ringtones on a Droid X please. This one has me stumped and, no, I do not want to pay for ringtones.

Thank you very much.

RaptorKC

Reaction score
Download Ringdroid from the market. you can create all your own ringtones and notification tones from your mp3 files.
Don't have an X, but can't you just use Windows Explorer to drag and drop files, once your SD card is mounted?

OP
O

Ohmster

Reaction score
Download Ringdroid from the market. you can create all your own ringtones and notification tones from your mp3 files.
Don't have an X, but can't you just use Windows Explorer to drag and drop files, once your SD card is mounted?

Thanks for the quick reply. My card is mounted, but I do have a card reader built into my printer. Oh, I think that is only for printing, I can get a reader if I need one. Is this Ringdroid a pay app? I am trying to stay away from them as I have always been successful with not having to pay, just get the right software or someone experienced to help and that is all there is to it.

Oh I found it, it is free! Great, this will give me something to play with, it is already showing me all the tunes on my phone, this looks perfect, thank you so much. dancedroid

OMG this thing rocks, way better than I expected, Whever said that Paris Hilton was the only one could afford a decent phone? Oh man, if you were a good looking girl, I would kiss you. If not, will you settle for a very sincere handshake or bro hug? Thank, buddy. You really made my day!

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no import process. Just place ringtones in a folder named Ringtones on your SD card. Same for notifications and alarms. They'll show up as an option.

Many people places these folders in a folder named Media but the specific locations of the folders doesn't really matter. It's the same for just about any Android device, IIRC.

OP
O

Ohmster

Reaction score
There's no import process. Just place ringtones in a folder named Ringtones on your SD card. Same for notifications and alarms. They'll show up as an option.

Many people places these folders in a folder named Media but the specific locations of the folders doesn't really matter. It's the same for just about any Android device, IIRC.

Cool, thanks. This is a Linux OS, I was watching as an update was installing itself. Plus poking around with the FS File Explorer shows the file system, definitely Linux and I am familiar with that. FS File Explorer rocks like hell man, could not live without it.

Here is what may be a dumb question, but since there are no "arrow keys", how do you go back 3½ words to correct a voice entry or edit text, how do you achieve that sort of cursor placement precision? My finger is too big to get right between two letters and so what are you supposed to use to go forward or backwards in text with precision? Thanks.

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985

Newbie here. [waves hi] I may be one of eight people on the planet whose music files aren't MP3s ... I use Windows Media Player, so the files are WMA. I downloaded Ringdroid, but it doesn't seem to recognize the file format. I'd welcome suggestions for a workaround, as I'm balking at the idea of paying VZW $2.99 a pop to retrieve the seven ringtones I'd previously downloaded.

Thanks in advance!

OP
O

Ohmster

Reaction score

Newbie here. [waves hi] I may be one of eight people on the planet whose music files aren't MP3s ... I use Windows Media Player, so the files are WMA. I downloaded Ringdroid, but it doesn't seem to recognize the file format. I'd welcome suggestions for a workaround, as I'm balking at the idea of paying VZW $2.99 a pop to retrieve the seven ringtones I'd previously downloaded.

Thanks in advance!

Fem,

wma files are proprietary, that means that MS "owns" those files, will not share the codec or licensing with any other person or programmer, so you are locked in at the mercy of MS when you use wma or wmv formats, and they are very good formats, too. But try to play one on a Mac or even Linux can have problems with them, not to mention they support DRM, Digital Rights Managment so that these files can come with all sorts of horrible restrictions if they want to include them such as three uses and it deletes, can only play it on the machine you downloaded it from, NO sharing at all, etc. You are FAR better off ripping your CDs to mp3 format, downloading mp3 files, and converting all of your existing wma files to mp3. Then you will never have these problems, ever again.

I have all of the tools in the world for doing this but let me see what I can offer you. If you get stuck or need a program that costs money, email me and I will hook you up. If you have the latest version of Windows Media Player (Get it from windowsupdate), then open the Tools menu, then Options, then the Rip Music tab, and select MP3 as your Rip settings format. Now when you put a CD into your computer and open media player, it will offer to pull all the songs off the disc or whichever ones you want and save them as mp3 files, NOT wma.

As for converting your existing music collection over to mp3, download and install dBpoweramp. Read what it does and download and install the software.

dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA

Forget it. I just went through all that, the program is great, does a good job, but costs money. There are very, very good free alternatives out there and I found just what you need without any spyware or adware or any of that crap in it. Just watch during the install for any "install toolbar" checkboxes, take the check out of the box before clicking Next. Same thing for changing your home page, if this one does that, I don't think it does. Here is what you want:

Free WMA to MP3 Converter - Freeware convert WMA to MP3.

Grab "Free WMA to MP3 Converter" and use it in batch mode to convert all of your wma files to a decent mp3. 160Kbps is very, very good quality but you can use 128 Kbps, which is what I use to get great mp3 files that are not too huge. Do that and kiss your wma problems goodbye forever. Never sign up or install iTunes, Rhapsody, or any of that other pay stuff, use Windows Media Player to sync your players and even your phone with music and never again put up with software taking over your machine and costing money.

That is all you need, go for it!

(If you really want the dBpoweramp converter, I will email you a download link but it is not necessary, the freeware link I gave you will fit your requirements very nicely. Cheers and good luck!

Ohmster :icon_ banana:

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
You RULE! Thanks to your brilliant info, I now have a ringtone of my husband (whose name is Jim) singing Elvis Presley's "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello." :woot:

I have a feeling I'm going to spend my entire weekend devising new ringtones for everyone in my contact list. A thousand thanks!