Hidden Ringtone

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm interesting.. mine show up. They are thrown in alphabetically with all the other stock ringtones. They aren't at the top or bottom or separate or anything.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmmm interesting.. mine show up. They are thrown in alphabetically with all the other stock ringtones. They aren't at the top or bottom or separate or anything.

Found the problem. I took an MP3 and used Ringdroid to clip it and saved it.

it put it in Sdcard/media/audio/ringtones and that put it in my stock ringtones so I am able to pick from those :)

I didn't have an Audio folder and that is why my ringtones weren't showing up

-=Jason=-

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
weird, mine show up without the audio folder in there. whatever, as long as it works! lol

OP
Q

qwerty04

Reaction score
Actually, don't know why I didn't think of this before. I converted the file to an .mp3 so you can play it in Windows Media. Is this the ringtone you heard?
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

that is the ring!

so, does that answer your question?

theres no question there. my question for richstevenson was if i can save that fallback ringtone so i can use it whenever i want. my subject for the thread i started was "hidden ringtone" which i think is one because u cant choose it under ringtones

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I just confirmed what I said before. This is the ringtone in question pulled from the framework-res.apk.
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
You'll need a player like VLC to listen to it though.VLC media player for Windows

I believe this is what plays when the phone is restarted/booted while being connected to the PC via USB. Right when the lock screen loads up on the phone after restarting, it will show an Icon temporarily in the notification bar saying its preparing the memory card, and you will also hear this sound.

My guess is that it uses this sound as a backup when it can't access the ringtones you might have set from the sdcard. Since it prepares the card after booting, something must be causing it to ring (and resort to this "backup ring" until the card is ready to be used).

Either way, the sound is kinda annoying, but I thought it was odd the first few times I heard it as well.

Tepes

Reaction score
kill the culprit!

Any clue how to pull this tone and replace it. Any time I hear it, it sets my teeth on edge :icon_eek:

AJRAS

Reaction score
For some reason lately it doesn't play a ringtone when my wife calls but it does for everyone else. I assume this is because I deleted or renamed her ringtone but I wonder why I didn't get this "default" ringtone that you got? hmmm

Edit: I must fix this before it gets me in trouble :icon_eek:

its because ur phone knows its your wife and decides u wont wana talk to her any way LOL:rofl3::laugh::tongue:

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone mind rehosting the ring-tone? The link no longer works.

Tepes

Reaction score
bump, please re-up the ringtone. i just heard it today for the first time. thanks

I fixed this on mine and never posted about it. The tone happens when you have replaced your notification tone with something located only on your sdcard, or you accidentaly deleted the stock Droid.ogg, so the tone sounds when it can't access the sdcard (i.e. on first bootup or unplugging from being mounted to your pc).
The way I went about it, was to take the custom tone I use, rename it from .mp3 (or whatever it happens to be) to .ogg, then for simplicity sake, place the .ogg file on the root of your sdcard. Now open terminal emulator;
$su
#mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
#busybox cp -R /sdcard/(tone).ogg /system/media/audio/notifications
#mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Some ROMs will have a shortform to mount the system (i.e. mountsys, sysmount) it depends on what you are using, but those can save you alot of that typing.
An even easier way to fix this is to just use a stock notification tone... but where is the fun in that :)
Hope this helps.