How to get rid of Keyboard lag?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I notice that on every OTA version of the OS, that the keyboard lags horribly when texting or typing. I have to slow down to about 25% of my speed, else it misses half the keystrokes. I am on the latest .605 GB and need to find a way around this. I don't want to have to use a custom ROM in order to get the keyboard to work properly.

I was on CM7 for awhile, but the lack of a few features and the fact that they couldn't get the camera button to work pushed me back to stock ROM but rooted.

Any idears? I cannot be the only person that types way faster than the keyboard can keep up with... Is it perhaps the haptic feedback?

leftspin

Reaction score
Try clearing the keyboard cache (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Your Keyboard App>Clear Cache)

also, what keyboard app are you using? I use Swiftkey X and it's much better than the stock keyboard

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try clearing the keyboard cache (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Your Keyboard App>Clear Cache)

also, what keyboard app are you using? I use Swiftkey X and it's much better than the stock keyboard

Just using the stock one. What's the best one?

leftspin

Reaction score
Just using the stock one. What's the best one?

in my opinion, Swiftkey X is the best one. It has a nice looking UI and it learns from the way you type. I normally only have to type a word or two at the most to start a text off, and for the rest of it I can just click the suggestions for the next word

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
in my opinion, Swiftkey X is the best one. It has a nice looking UI and it learns from the way you type. I normally only have to type a word or two at the most to start a text off, and for the rest of it I can just click the suggestions for the next word

Tried it and didn't like it.

What seems to help is disabling all the crap auto-prediction, spell check, word options and stuff. It seems that the phone doesn't have enough processing power to handle all that and typing unless you type slowly. Half the time that prediction and auto-correct is wrong anyway...

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually it has not helped. Keyboard is so laggy that it is almost unusable. Will see what I can find out.

leftspin

Reaction score
If that were the case then wouldn't every single user of the phone have the problem?

Actually, I completely forgot this, but they released a .605 kernel for the X that was supposed to fix the keyboard bugs that everyone was having. Have you updated to it?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it was in your OP that you did. I have no idea where to go from here then.