"How to" for google navigation

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
not sure exactly what didnt work for you, but if you hit the search icon and then the mic icon and say your destination, it works like a charm

the reason that I know that you are searching in google maps is that beside the search field/box is a picture of the google map icon.

after you speak your destination or searched destination, simply select the pop-up balloon and then select navigate.

is there a one touch voice search? no. This is a two step process.
with your method, its a 3 step.

As for people on this site getting stuff wrong, we are all human, it happens. However, in this case, i can proudly state that I was not... i just maybe didnt explain it well enough.

Actually maybe I just found what you meant...

Did you mean, instead of touching the search button, to hit the menu button and choose search from there? That gives me a microphone option, oddly enough, although it's more clicks: 1: menu button, 2: search button, 3: "back" to get rid of the soft keyboard, 4: microphone button.

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
not sure exactly what didnt work for you, but if you hit the search icon and then the mic icon and say your destination, it works like a charm

the reason that I know that you are searching in google maps is that beside the search field/box is a picture of the google map icon.

after you speak your destination or searched destination, simply select the pop-up balloon and then select navigate.

is there a one touch voice search? no. This is a two step process.
with your method, its a 3 step.

As for people on this site getting stuff wrong, we are all human, it happens. However, in this case, i can proudly state that I was not... i just maybe didnt explain it well enough.

This is good feedback, thanks. I'm still not seeing it though...

When I touch the (front glass, non changing) magnifier button from navigating (just tried it again) I get a drop down search box. It has two input lines, the top of which says "My location" the bottom of which says "End Point". Both have a "bookmarks" icon to the right. Below that are buttons for "car" (selected), a bus icon for public transit, and a walking person, then a "Go" button. There is no microphone button from this search interface.

Either a preference needs to be set or we have different assumptions here. Are you starting from within a navigation as per the original question? At your desk you can test this by going to "car home" manually and then choosing navigate. Now hit the hard-search button (the one on the glass to the right. Note there is no microphone.

Final thought: it seems like you're describing the same number of clicks as I am. My way: 1 click to go to car home, 1 click on the microphone, then speak and choose destination.

UPDATE: Good grief, I figured it out. The search button behaves differently - apparently depending on whether you have layers turned on or not. After I turned on layers the search button now goes to a search bar with a microphone button next to it. That's some pretty bad interface design.

For me at least the home button is still faster because the new search bar requires a "back" to get out of the soft keyboard (which hides the microphone).

gatewayad

Reaction score
i meant there is no one button option from when you are inside of google map you smart ass :p

My bad... disregard. :icon_eek:

I think if you long hold the search button while in nav it will bring up voice search, I was given the option to use voice search by default the first time, while in navigation long hold the search button (magnifying glass) box should pop up to ask what you want to do. Set it for voice search and check the always box) Hope this helps

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
i meant there is no one button option from when you are inside of google map you smart ass :p

My bad... disregard. :icon_eek:

I think if you long hold the search button while in nav it will bring up voice search, I was given the option to use voice search by default the first time, while in navigation long hold the search button (magnifying glass) box should pop up to ask what you want to do. Set it for voice search and check the always box) Hope this helps

It works!!!! Just tested in navigation screen - long hold search button = straight to voice search for nav.

I'll wait for someone else to confirm before putting in top post as we've learned the search functions seem to react differently for various people.

mightym

Reaction score
The long press on the search button works to bring up voice search whatever you are looking for in any mode while in maps.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Anyone found a way to have Maps remember which layers you had turned on? I use the Satellite view and every time I use Maps to navigate I have to go back and turn on that layer. Kinda annoying...

masters

Reaction score
Wierd, if I click on "more" then "Labs" I get a forced close in Google Maps. Hmph.

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
found a new app for those of you too lazy to hit 2 buttons to voice navigate...

its called navigateTo. it runs you about one British pound to purchase but it does indeed allow you to simply click the icon from one of your home screens WITHOUT having google maps pulled up already.

simply click the icon, state where you want to go, and BAM! it auto launches google maps and asks you to verify your destination.

tsm

Reaction score
When I am using point to point gps navigation on my Moto Droid the 'Car Home' app gives me a map view similar to Garmin gps. When I do not have a destination I just hit the map button on the Car Home opening page. I do not like the view it gives me. I do not like the sky view. I would like to change the view to the navigation style when I don't have a end point. The overhead sky view is hard to read and confusing b/c the map orientation is always north. I would like it to orientate with my car. Can you help me with this?

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
When I am using point to point gps navigation on my Moto Droid the 'Car Home' app gives me a map view similar to Garmin gps. When I do not have a destination I just hit the map button on the Car Home opening page. I do not like the view it gives me. I do not like the sky view. I would like to change the view to the navigation style when I don't have a end point. The overhead sky view is hard to read and confusing b/c the map orientation is always north. I would like it to orientate with my car. Can you help me with this?

Hi tsm: what application are you talking about? How did you get to it?

tsm

Reaction score
I'm talking about Car Home. The navigation app that comes with the Droid. I would like to use it like my Garmen gps. I've checked all the settings and cannot find a way to turn off sky view.

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
I'm talking about Car Home. The navigation app that comes with the Droid. I would like to use it like my Garmen gps. I've checked all the settings and cannot find a way to turn off sky view.

Ah, I think I understand now.

For future reference the car home is like a desktop replacement for the car dock to pull car related applications together, the navigation application is "Google Navigation". That may help with your searches.

I don't know of any way to get the "3rd person view" that you get when using directions where it faces the way you're going, but if you go into the menu, choose more, and go to "Labs" there is a function to add a compass arrow so that you'll know your orientation.

Perhaps someone else knows a trick for getting the navigation view while free driving. I can see how it might be useful to drive among search results or notice your marked places as you pass.

tsm

Reaction score
Thank you for clearing my question up. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Does anyone else have a fix for this issue?