How to exit/close apps

NOLAsailing

Reaction score
My issue is the music players that don't have a quick way to close the app. You can't leave a program running if it's making noise! To me, this is a major shortcoming.

what are you talking about? just hit the pause button and that effectively closes the app. In Pandora it has a Quit button so that it starts a whole new song when you load it up again.

I'll tell you what I'm talking about! It's that...umm... oh.

I guess you're right.

Thanks.

jakenovak

Reaction score
I second the recommendation for ATK... I have it perched in my notification bar, and personally I think it's the easiest way to kill all the background services that normally popup without my knowing (it remembers what apps you killed in the past, so most times you just have to select "KILL APPS").

I'm sure most of them don't take up much battery, but sometimes the amount of them suddenly spawning is ridiculous. With as much as I use my device in a day, any minute I can gain from killing them is a gift...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once I had a problem with the GPS (it indicated that East was North). I took it to the Verizon store and the told me the problem was that I had over a 100 apps running in the background. Now that I think about it, they were probably looking at the list of my apps, not the ones currently running.

P.S. Power off didn't change a thing, nor was removing a battery. They ended up doing a reset. I had done the first two before I went to the store. Power off should stop all apps, right?

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I generally don't do this but I will share a bit of my exp as a systems admin and have linux servers at my company under my oversight.

Linux in general does do a good job of cleaning up unused processes but it is not fool proof. It can and will get bogged down with programs in memory that are not running if not properly configured.

With android I have noticed that apps not used open by themselves which yes is well and good for fast start and use but when apps you have never used open by themselves then your O/S has a coding and or a permission issue.

I have never used nor even opened the corp calender or several other progs and they will be resident in memory. This should not happen. The O/S should leave them off and instead load apps that have been or are being used.
I have seen this problem with SuSE Server and Red Hat as well as Fedora.
The way I fix it on the servers is by editing the permissions to stop this kind of behavior and limit programs to opening in memory to ones that are used the most first and on down to least used. Progs and apps that are never used do not get auto started. This keeps things running smooth and makes things work more smoothly for the apps and progs that do get used.

I also don't like the idea of having to back out of several pages of browsing just to close the browser without using a task killer prog.

While these are by no means show stoppers they are something to keep an eye on.

The debate rages about task killer progs and I will not reopen it here other than to state that I do use Advanced Task Killer to close programs that open themselves despite me never using them. I don't use it to kill anything else.

I hope that 2.1 when it comes to the Droid does better at managing programs or at least opens up better user management and control of apps.

Thank you for that post. It makes perfect sense. I never use Corporate Calender, or You Tube, and those apps are always resident in memory... along with some others I don't use either, and I am always finding those apps open... I set my ATK to close all of the unchecked apps..

SigSoldat

Reaction score
I'm with you guys. I don't necessarily care if certain things are loaded into memory because it speeds up the process when I choose to use that app. HOWEVER, I can't understand how Corporate Calendar gets loaded when I've never opened it, set it up, or used it. Why would it load something that I've never used? That's hardly "intuitive" from a user standpoint.

I was using ATK for a while but didn't really notice a difference in performance. My major improvement came from turning off autosync, BT, and WiFi, and lowering the screen brightness. What could probably help even more is a power management app that would drop/increase the CPU speed based on what I'm doing. I know this is possible with rooted systems, but I haven't found it for a non-rooted yet.