Task killer Apps & Froyo

Ralffers

Reaction score
Is it true that once [if ever] Froyo comes to the Droid X, apps like Advance Task killer will no longer be necessary? Apps will actually close once exited, instead of continuing to run in the background?

It sure would be nice to get 2.2 this month, but seeing that big red hasn't finished rolling it out to all the original droids yet who knows when the X will get it...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even though it might seem like apps are "running" in the background they are in fact "frozen" until you reopen the app again, I guess the almost year long argument will never end, but task killers are not needed and if anything just add problems

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Apps like Advanced Task Killer were never necessary, even in 2.0 or 2.1. All they do is stop tasks which the OS will inevitably restart since it started them for a reason in the first place. The only use they have is killing rogue apps.

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score
Hmm, okay - good to know.

When I first got my droid & went to VZW store to complain about the lackluster battery life, the fist thing they did was install Advance Task Killer.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Task killers weren't needed with 2.1 either.

They're an obsession... not a necessity.

Only 'kill' unresponsive apps. Apps that open are their own are supposed to. That's how Android is designed.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

When I first got my droid & went to VZW store to complain about the lackluster battery life, the fist thing they did was install Advance Task Killer.
This is WRONG WRONG WRONG on Verizon's part.

First off they shouldn't be installing anything on someone's device.

Second, it's a big misconception. You will actually use more battery having Task Killers running in the background, closing apps that the OS WILL open again anyway.

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

Second, it's a big misconception. You will actually use more battery having Task Killers running in the background, closing apps that the OS WILL open again anyway.

Just deleted any task killer apps that I had.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Task killer apps can be useful to easily 'close' an app that is hung up or not responding, so I'm not saying they have to be uninstalled... but having them run on auto I would say not to.... also obsessively checking 'what's running' is a waste as well.

The task killer does make it a one touch solution to close an app. Android does have it own way to close an unresponsive app, but it is a bit tediously to get to it.

Menu > Applications > Manage Applications > Running > select the app > Force Stop.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just deleted any task killer apps that I had.
What you wanna do first to preserve battery life is check what apps you have installed that 'pull' data or are set to update at certain intervals.

You can extend the update interval which should help slightly with battery life.
Also you can adjust the brightness setting to a lower setting (I rec. Auto-bright)
This is a mixed bag of findings, but I personally disable GPS and wifi when I'm not using it. I find it helps my battery, but could just be me, as GPS and wifi only 'pull' information when an app needs it.

There are a plethora of other tips and tricks to improve battery life as well.
Just a few to get ya started.