Do we need to close apps??

88g

Reaction score
Some people said we can just tap HOME button, some said you need to find an Exit button under the MENU button. Some even said we have to kill the apps by using Task Killer.

In short, what's the best way to exit an app? I have do some search on the net, but people have different opinions. dancedroid

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Truthfully I don't think it matters much. I mean if your running an app like Pandora you obviously want to exit so it's not playing music, or you'll want to exit out of maps navigation so your GPS isn't always on... Other than that the Android system will close out what it needs to.

When I first got the phone I spend a few bucks on a task killer thinking it's important, but I have not had it installed in a long time and I think my phone is running great...

OP

88g

Reaction score
Do you mean that no task killer is needed? If I just tap the HOME button to exit every time, will it cause memory shortage for the phone?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Task killers are generally more bad than good. I exit most apps just by hitting the home button. As I said, the Android system is built to keep what it needs in memory and to close out apps when it wants to free some up.

I am rooted and overclocked, but really I never see memory issues. Let your phone do its thing and don't worry about it! Hah.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if an app has an exit function I use it, probably just personal preference.
I only use a task killer if I need to stop/restart an app (like setcpu) to apply a change. the built in task manager works for this but I find it faster ti use advanced task killer.
I don't use the auto start auto kill functions of it and a lot will chime in saying its bad, etc.

Metalunna

Reaction score
Over time, I have found a few apps that keep data connections open if you just hit the home key. You have to manually "disconnect" or "exit". Not really a design flaw as I'm sure we all love our multi tasking phones :)

Just something to keep in mind as the rumors of the tiered data plans are coming out.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do we need to close apps??
In general, no. However, there are exceptions to every rule. If you have a misbehaving app you may need to force it to stop.

This is a dead horse and there are definitely plenty of threads and, IIRC, stickies that address multitasking, resource utilization of background apps, etc. Here's one resource if you want to delve into the details:
Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way