How to delete gmail acct on Droid

hobbsfarm

Reaction score
I created a new gmail acct and changed my mind so I deleted it on the Gmail site and couldn't figure out how to delete it on my phone. I created a new one and it's also on my phone. However, I can't figure out how to delete the original one off my Droid and it's the primary one for Market and can't download any of those wonderful apps. I have a constant warning on my phone (triangle in upper left corner) "sign in error" and it gives me a code to type in (resulting in an unsuccessful sign-in since the email account is deleted on the Google site)

How do I delete the original email account off the Droid and make the new email address the default for all my transactions?

Thanks in advance!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Settings>Apps>Manage apps>Google Apps>Clear data.

After that, Settings>Data Synchronization>Google and it asks you to sign in or create an account.

OP
H

hobbsfarm

Reaction score
Got go Google Apps and the "clear defaults" button is not selectable (dark). Do I force stop? Weird thing is when I was in email & hit menu/accounts, the original email acct didn't show. (shucks - that would've been too easy)!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Got go Google Apps and the "clear defaults" button is not selectable (dark). Do I force stop? Weird thing is when I was in email & hit menu/accounts, the original email acct didn't show. (shucks - that would've been too easy)!

do a reboot and run though it again....

OP
H

hobbsfarm

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

The reboot did the trick - (good thing I only downloaded a few apps so far!)
Really appreciate your help! Have a terrific new year! It's a good thing you were here - I googled, looked at gmail's site, and searched throughout this forum for an hour before posting - before posting.:heart:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The reboot did the trick - (good thing I only downloaded a few apps so far!)
Really appreciate your help! Have a terrific new year! It's a good thing you were here - I googled, looked at gmail's site, and searched throughout this forum for an hour before posting - before posting.:heart:

No problem. Goto the Market then menu, hit downloads and any paid apps will be there to dl again....

Taylorstevens

Reaction score
okay so I had a gmail account that i created upon turning on the phone for the first time, I then started having problems with the regular email account syncing with my windows live account so i attempted to use gmail to sync with my live so it would actually alert me when i got an email but then some other stuff got messed up so I ended up deleting my entire google account and now on my phone its says sign in error for my google account and it won't go away since I no long have this account, what can i do to fix this? if i do a complete reboot will it delete all of my contacts? if so how can i save them?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
okay so I had a gmail account that i created upon turning on the phone for the first time, I then started having problems with the regular email account syncing with my windows live account so i attempted to use gmail to sync with my live so it would actually alert me when i got an email but then some other stuff got messed up so I ended up deleting my entire google account and now on my phone its says sign in error for my google account and it won't go away since I no long have this account, what can i do to fix this? if i do a complete reboot will it delete all of my contacts? if so how can i save them?

Are you sure your UN/PW are correct?
Can you log in via a PC? If so, change your PW and give it another try from the Droid.

Taylorstevens

Reaction score
I think I got it Backnblack, I just ended saving all of my contacts to the sd card then rebooting the whole phone so i could delete the google account because it was unretrievable and created a new google account and it seems to be working fine now. It was tedious but worked

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Glad it all turned out ok....

drew77

Reaction score
so there's no way to remove the default email account without resetting the phone??? i set my phone up at the store with my wife's gmail account....and have since created my own. i want her's off my phone & mine set as the default. i hate to reset my phone because i'll lose all my apps & settings i've spent so much time creating.

ANY IDEAS????

sugaraerae

Reaction score
no google apps under manage apps

After that, Settings>Data Synchronization>Google and it asks you to sign in or create an account.

I am having the same issue as the prev person who asked, but I created a new gmail account so now i have two on my phone but one is active and the other one (the primary one) is not registering because I canceled it on google.
I go under manage apps and all the other things are on there that i have added but not google apps. I am getting extremely frustratedIs there somethin I am missing?

thanks

Chilazr

Reaction score
I created a new Gmail account because I didn't like the old one. To get everything switched over, I think you have to do a reset of the phone. That's what I ended up doing anyways. The problem is that the market doesn't understand you're the same person, so if you lose your apps. That was frustrating. But then again, I had a lot of apps I didn't use. Just make sure you export your contacts to your SD card first.

hapster

Reaction score

ok, i've seen this same tip on two different droid forums, but my Moto Droid has no Clear Data button for Google apps. The button isn't grayed out, it's simply not there. Tried a reboot. Nada.

I'm running 2.1, which wasn't out yet when this tip was written. Could that be the reason? Or is there something else I'm missing?