How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY

Ohiomulchboy4

Reaction score
Good write up, but no matter how many people read this there will still be some who try to bake it in the oven or use a blow dryer, all of which FAIL.

A longggggg time ago I had a Nextel ( hahahaha ashamed to say that ) and it jumped out of my hand into the toilet.... Really it did! and I had read some where that along with the rice and such "drawing out" the moisture a Refrigerator would help in that process ( thats what a refrigerator does is draw out moisture when the door is sealed)

So along with the removing the battery and drying it the best as i could with a towel I had placed it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and worked from then on as if nothing had ever occurred.

tranz

Reaction score
you can't get the battery, AND SIMM, and SD card out too soon.

And if you take notes or do anything with "local" files, keep them on yourSD, and back them up online daily.

OP
medicTHREE

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Rice saved my life. :icon_ banana:

I have seen it really gunk up devices too.

I tell everyone I know that drops their phone in the toilet, or exposes to water and rice works almost every time. Considering I work for Verizon I hear about it a lot. Rice>ALL in my opinion.

Like I said in the disclaimer, I don't care if rice saved your life. I worked in electronics manufacturing and repair for a major LED Sign company and I assure you Rice was never used.

There is more to consider than just drying it out. The minerals left behind do most of the damage. If it isn't just water you dropped it into, then it is even more important to displace the crud.

OP
medicTHREE

medicTHREE

Reaction score

r-dubya

Reaction score
I have been unfortunate to loose a few phones this way. Last time it happened though I had a brilliant idea. I work in a quality test lab that conducts all sorts of tests on seismic marine (underwater) cables. Naturally we had a large water tank that we use to pressurize our cables up to 8000 psi to simulate ocean bottom environments. The phone (a blackberry 8330) was in my shirt pocket as I leaned over the tank to grab a cable...

After 15 minutes of fishing for it I was able to retrieve it. I removed the battery immediately (remember, this has happened to me before) and thought for a minute. Then it struck me. We use an oven vacuum chamber to simulate aging on our cables (we also use a cold weather environment chamber, in cycles cold, hot, cold, hot, cold etc...) I put the phone in the vacuum chamber, set the temp to cycle from room temp to 120 F for 3 hours...

Removed the phone from the vacuum chamber, and was pleasantly surprised. No more moisture behind the screen, dry as a bone. I hesitated to put the battery back in, but alas; I made the leap of faith. I turned it on, and it worked like a charm. Basically I had just figured out how to give my phone a bath. :icon_ banana:

I am aware that almost NOBODY will have this equipment available to them for use. So OP, thanks for the great information and intuitive thinking!

Dubya, out -

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
the most important part about the longevity and function of your phone is making sure none of the minerals are left too.

How about not getting wet in the first place....

r-dubya

Reaction score
the most important part about the longevity and function of your phone is making sure none of the minerals are left too.

Sometimes it is just unavoidable. Stuff happens. Your kid spilles a drink on it, your buddies know over a beer on the table with your phone, YOU knock over a beer on the table, you get thrown in the pool, or you could read my post right above yours and see what happened to me.

Its a consequence of the "mobile" part of your device. To think otherwise would be simply ignorant...

Dubya

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Sometimes it is just unavoidable. Stuff happens. Your kid spilles a drink on it, your buddies know over a beer on the table with your phone, YOU knock over a beer on the table, you get thrown in the pool, or you could read my post right above yours and see what happened to me.

Its a consequence of the "mobile" part of your device. To think otherwise would be simply ignorant...

Dubya

Sure, I understand that...That's why I have insurance...

tranz

Reaction score
Insurance takes it's time, and may well not replace your same model old phone, and won't replace any data since your last backup. The "different model" isn't always good or bad, but I had major trouble with them not replacing a Treo I once had.

J

Johnly

That is eerily similar to some other articles out there. Those are correct procedures, but one must remember, only luck will allow those steps to be successful. Rice is a hoax. A hair dryer set on low about a 18'' away from the device will dry it in 15 minutes.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Insurance takes it's time, and may well not replace your same model old phone, and won't replace any data since your last backup. The "different model" isn't always good or bad, but I had major trouble with them not replacing a Treo I once had.

Takes a few days...Granted...That why you have a old phone to place on the account. Any data I have that I consider critical I either backup or email to myself...But thats just me. Phone gets a bath....screw it and move on. YMMV

OP
medicTHREE

medicTHREE

Reaction score
That is eerily similar to some other articles out there. Those are correct procedures, but one must remember, only luck will allow those steps to be successful. Rice is a hoax. A hair dryer set on low about a 18'' away from the device will dry it in 15 minutes.

It is eerily similar because I have written 3 of them similar to this, as well as gathered info from about 20 different sources to find the best information possible, while using personal experience.

Like I've said 100 times already, a hair dryer might dry it out, but it won't remove the mineral deposits left behind from your water or worse... urine or beer.

One thing to remember, this alcohol method COULD damage your droids rubber parts. Distilled water is a very viable 2nd option to alcohol and one we used in Electronics Assembly to wash parts too delicate for alcohol.

Rice IS a hoax. The reason it works is simple... people let the phone dry out, the rice did jack.

J

Johnly

It is eerily similar because I have written 3 of them similar to this, as well as gathered info from about 20 different sources to find the best information possible, while using personal experience.

Like I've said 100 times already, a hair dryer might dry it out, but it won't remove the mineral deposits left behind from your water or worse... urine or beer.

One thing to remember, this alcohol method COULD damage your droids rubber parts. Distilled water is a very viable 2nd option to alcohol and one we used in Electronics Assembly to wash parts too delicate for alcohol.

Rice IS a hoax. The reason it works is simple... people let the phone dry out, the rice did jack.

well, thanks for the info, I actually did allot of research on this topic for a friend, and I think luck plays the major roll, but what you posted is very helpful and accurate, but after a solute treatment, skip the BULL and get the hair dryer on it and get it dry immediately as the rubber parts have a much better chance of survival:) The less time wet, the greater the luck!