How To Baby Steps.

joseyjos

Reaction score
Alright, I have a D2g. I rooted it a few weeks back and was wanting to get back to the actual stock ROM of the phone. I changed a font and I dont like it but not sure how to change it back. Anyway, I have been reading up on the forums and have heard that this CM7 is an awesome ROM. I want to give it a try but have no idea on how to get it on my phone. I have a mac computer that I do not an admin access too. So I would really like to maybe download it to a zip and install it from the SD card. I also do not know if I have the right stuff for CM7. I understand what a ROM is, but not quite sure what gingerbread is. I'm just all around curious about all of the things really. I want my phone just to run smooth. I have had some things that were kinda buggy with it, but I reset it and it was fixed. So I figured I'd check out some other ROMs as well. Just I need specific directions on how to do and what to do. Thanks for all the help.

I have:

System version: 2.4.330
Android version: 2.2.
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9

bfederspill

Reaction score
I suggest you read all the past forms. It's been posted over and over exactly how you do it. You will know exactly what to do then.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
J

joseyjos

Reaction score
Right, I know it is in past forums. But I dont exactly understand if I can download it with my phone and put it directly on my SD card. I also do not understand exactly if I have the right requirements, what gingerbread is, or if CM7 would be smooth. I understand that it is posted and everything, but I just wanted some clarification on those things. I have read forums, I have watched youtube videos. I have done some research but I just wanted something to break it down real smooth for me.

hellajdm

Reaction score
Well.. rooting your phone only provides a higher level of access to your system. If you only rooted your phone then your are still on stock. CM7 is awesome, they are still working out some small bugs but I would wait a couple of days as CM7 nightly builds have come back finally. If you are still on Froyo (Android 2.2) than I would recommend updating to Gingerbread (Android 2.3).

But read around the forum and get to know what needs to be done if you mess up your current setup and have to SBF back to stock. To flash a rom, its as simple as placing the file of the rom onto your sdcard, re-booting into clockwork mod recovery, choosing .zip file from sdcard to flash, and wiping data/cache. You'll get the hang of it before you know it, just be patient and keep reading.

Reaction score
The only way I know to go back to stock is to SBF, there's a thread on the D2G hacks to do it I believe. It's not that complicated, I spent most of the time searching for the correct files. It's not complicated installing Gingerbread either. If you really, really, want CM7, what I suggest you do is, since your phone is rooted, just do the gingerbread root hack, which involves flashing two different zips of Gingerbread (Gingerbread is Android version 2.4, that's all it is, aka new shtuff), with that, you will have the beauty of Gingerbread and are rooted, which means you can install the zip of CM7's Gingerbread build.

OP
J

joseyjos

Reaction score
Well.. rooting your phone only provides a higher level of access to your system. If you only rooted your phone then your are still on stock. CM7 is awesome, they are still working out some small bugs but I would wait a couple of days as CM7 nightly builds have come back finally. If you are still on Froyo (Android 2.2) than I would recommend updating to Gingerbread (Android 2.3).

But read around the forum and get to know what needs to be done if you mess up your current setup and have to SBF back to stock. To flash a rom, its as simple as placing the file of the rom onto your sdcard, re-booting into clockwork mod recovery, choosing .zip file from sdcard to flash, and wiping data/cache. You'll get the hang of it before you know it, just be patient and keep reading.

Ok great to know. I still am having trouble figuring out how to flash from a phone. I have rom manager. I have bootstrap I believe it is called. So basically I need to figure out how to flash using just my phone. I am going to assume this is how I would go about doing it:

First I would go and backup everything, that I know for a fact I need to do.
THen after that I would just download everything to my SD card and install it from the SD card? Am I right on that, I know Rom Manager has a feature that I can check so that I can pick what to install. Will this work for what I am trying to do?

Reaction score
You need to go into the Droid 2 Bootstrapper recovery thing. Click on that. Then it gives you the option to flash or "choose zip to install from" in the hackish looking menu.

OP
J

joseyjos

Reaction score
Ok, I just got the two downloads. Installed them correctly I believe using clockworkmod. My problem is that after I rebooted, I got the red "m", and I believe that I am in GB because of that. My first questions is how DO I KNOW that I am in GB. I would like to have something that says you are in "GB Congratz!" Something along those lines. Another problem I am having I believe is with my battery somehow. I have checked my battery in the setup and it says 100%. I have a power widget it says 100%. Here is the thing though, my battery display on my home screen is black with a "?" showing up in the picture of the battery. My phone also will run for about 5 minutes and then shut off. I can turn it right back on and it stays on for another 5 minutes and shuts off. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to my questions?

Thanks in advance,

Jw

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you have the red "M" your on GB, you can also check by going to Setting/About Phone/Android Version if it says 2.3 your on GB ( also mention earlier)

The battery problem could be something small that didnt get install correctly, you can reinstall everything or move to the .607 update or CM. ( Figure your on .607 since you said you downloaded 2 files, the .607 is just 1 file then you have Droid 3 root v7 method to get it rooted)

You can also try to re-wipe everything (Including the battery data), and see if it fixes anything.

I should have every file your going to need, so IF you cant find something PM me.

And to answer the original question, the only way to go back is to SBF. So since the GB kernel has had patches added to it, and back-up in the froyo settings will give you trouble.

Last edited: