How to add stock email support to Steel Droid 2.0

eomalley411

Reaction score
1) Obtain the Deodexed install from RootzWiki. Link in the Steel Droid sticky.
2) Extract the zip file (I downloaded mine to the PC and unzipped it there).
3) Open the extracted folder, then navigate to /system/app.
4) Locate the BlurEmail.apk file (not to be confused with blur_email.apk) and copy it.
5) Paste the file to the SD card or internal storage.
6) Using a file explorer (such as Root Explorer),copy the file from where you put it and paste to the /system/app directory (may need to mount as RW first).
7) Set the permissions to rw-r--r-- (the top line has read and write and the bottom two have read only) by long-pressing and selecting "Permissions" (this is if you use Root Explorer, other programs may va.ry). Make sure owner has Read and Write, while Group and Others have Read only.
8) Reboot phone, and enjoy!

Edit: alternatively, you can adb push the file to /system/app. Will yield the same result.

Note: this also applies to Steel Droid 3.0, but I'm unsure how to change the title of this thread...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
Here is a link to the file that I pulled out of RootzWiki zip.

Just download and start at step 5.- BlurEmail - download.
This will give you Exchange email as well.

CM

Last edited:

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
mount as READ/Write
If you get "ES File Explorer" from the market (free) you do not need to worry about that.

CM

WhatiPhone

Reaction score
That's what i was using and i tried to copy it to /system/app and it said copy failed.

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
Check your settings, you need to check both of the root settings options.

CM

WhatiPhone

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a serious noob and I don't know how to do that or what I'm checking for.

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
Open your "ES File Explorer" app. now click on the button with the 4 little boxes. This opens the settings dialog for an app.
scroll down until you see "root settings" and check both boxes.

Now hit the home button and you are all set.

CM

heybubb

Reaction score
Still having trouble with email

Let me first admit that I am a noob and this is my first root. (so speak slowly)So far, I love the rom, with the exception of the email issue.I followed the instruction above, and did get the icons back. However, now the icons only take me to the "set up" screen. When I attempt to re-enter my email information (since I tried to set it up before) it tells me the account has already been added. How do I get around this?I have gone into settings > accounts, and removed these accounts. I then restarted just for good measure. The accounts are no longer listed in the My Accounts feature, nor are they listed in Settings > accounts. Just when I think I have it beat, I go back to the email and the setup screen appears. I begin to enter my information, and again I am told the accounts are already listed.Any help with this would be much appreciated.Thanks

WhatiPhone

Reaction score
I didn't have to re-enter my email info when I did this. Just a thought but maybe you didn't clear your cache/data/factory reset? Not sure though, I would let an expert help you out.

OP
E

eomalley411

Reaction score
Let me first admit that I am a noob and this is my first root. (so speak slowly)So far, I love the rom, with the exception of the email issue.I followed the instruction above, and did get the icons back. However, now the icons only take me to the "set up" screen. When I attempt to re-enter my email information (since I tried to set it up before) it tells me the account has already been added. How do I get around this?I have gone into settings > accounts, and removed these accounts. I then restarted just for good measure. The accounts are no longer listed in the My Accounts feature, nor are they listed in Settings > accounts. Just when I think I have it beat, I go back to the email and the setup screen appears. I begin to enter my information, and again I am told the accounts are already listed.Any help with this would be much appreciated.Thanks

I am not 100% sure, but I recall having a very similar issue that had to do with the fact that I wiped data before installing a debloated (remove the crap, like Verizon stuff, Universal Inbox, etc.) ROM. What you may want to try, until someone figures out a better solution, is install a bloated ROM (or just install bloated deodexed stock available at rootzwiki - ill post a link when I get on my pc) and try to get it working that way, then install whatever ROM you want (Steel Droid 3 in this case).

Now before you do this, make sure you make a nandroid backup (in CWM Recovery) just in case it doesn't work, that way you can get back to where you are now... its possible im wrong about this, so try it if you want, but if you do, please back up first.

In my case I think it had something to do with the fact one of the "getting started" or turotial apk's were missing. And because im not sure, that's why I recommend just installing a ROM with all of the factory apps and trying from there.

Hope this helps!

heybubb

Reaction score
after trying all I could think of, I resorted to a hard reset. That did the trick. Email works! Enjoying the rom again ;) looking forward to updates.

Thanks Chevy!!!

DKDroid3

Reaction score
6) Using a file explorer (such as Root Explorer),copy the file from where you put it and paste to the /system/app directory (may need to mount as RW first).
7) Set the permissions to rw-r--r-- (the top line has read and write and the bottom two have read only) by long-pressing and selecting "Permissions" (this is if you use Root Explorer, other programs may va.ry). Make sure owner has Read and Write, while Group and Others have Read only.

When I try to do this using root explorer it tells me that I can not paste in the system/apps folder saying "You cannot paste file here cause the file system is read only" I cannot change the permissions in the app folder, the permissions are read write execute in the system folder. ?? Maybe the secret lies in the "push the apk to system/app" suggestion but I am not sure how the command line should read.???