How often to turn off a Droid?

gpb5200

Reaction score
When I bought my Droid, I was told to turn it off at least nightly for better daily operation. I haven't exactly been doing that religiously.
Anyone have thoughts on the the frequency of shutting it down?
How about how long it should be off before turning it back on?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

droider4life

Reaction score
I never turn mine off. I charge mine every night and it turns on while charging so its not even an option.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mine is only off when rebooting after installing a new ROM.

Never any problems with it being on all the time.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are those who brag about their uptime on Linux systems, which is what Android is based on. Usually my phone gets rebooted to do a backup or to look at something while helping someone but it has stayed up for a few weeks at a time. I've noticed no issues when it has been up that long.

Try this...don't shut it off, as you have been doing, and when you suddenly realize, "hey, my daily operations aren't what they used to be" give it a reboot and see if there is an amazing difference. I don't think it will happen, but that's just me.

Now, there may be something to be said for letting the battery drain fully from time to time, which would cause a shutdown. There was a post about an initial battery usage guide that covered that, to increase battery life. Something like letting it drain until it died, full recharge, repeat once, and then good to go?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are those who brag about their uptime on Linux systems, which is what Android is based on. Usually my phone gets rebooted to do a backup or to look at something while helping someone but it has stayed up for a few weeks at a time. I've noticed no issues when it has been up that long.

Try this...don't shut it off, as you have been doing, and when you suddenly realize, "hey, my daily operations aren't what they used to be" give it a reboot and see if there is an amazing difference. I don't think it will happen, but that's just me.

Now, there may be something to be said for letting the battery drain fully from time to time, which would cause a shutdown. There was a post about an initial battery usage guide that covered that, to increase battery life. Something like letting it drain until it died, full recharge, repeat once, and then good to go?

I definitely think that when your Droid lags a shut down is all that is required and you do see an amazing difference, however I strongly disagree about the idea of initial battery charge and then running it down until it dies having any type of effect on the Droids battery life. Old wives tale I say.

I do think it is a good idea to let the battery drain completely occasionally - maybe 3 times a year but that's only because I've read that major battery manufacturers, including Apple, recommend this for the lithium battery.

It definitely will not hurt to let the battery drain after an initial charge, I just don't see a long time benefit.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are times that for whatever reason I cant get GPS lock, and a shutdown is the only solution (I'd tried turning off and turning on first, etc.)

That is about the only reason I power off lately.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Droid, I was told to turn it off at least nightly for better daily operation. I haven't exactly been doing that religiously.
Anyone have thoughts on the the frequency of shutting it down?
No need in my experience (except for extremely unusual issues like RW-1 mentions). Who told you that?

Jcook54

Reaction score
Sometimes I have an issue like RW1 mentioned and turning the phone off seems to fix it. However, I don't think it's the phone per say. It only happens when I "do" something and can't figure out how to undo it. I'm technology challenged and sometimes I think I user error contributes to some strange application reactions. Up to this point rebooting the phone has been the answer.

Reaction score
unless you're having problems shut down is NOT required. If you notice a lot of lag, apps not responding the way they should, etc. Shutting down is always a good first troubleshooting step. But in typical daily use, shutting down won't do anything for you.

VolDroid

Reaction score
Mine's never off unless it's rebooting to load a ROM or something that actually requires a reboot. I can't remember the last time I turned it off just to turn it off.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I usually power cycle my phone every 24-48 hours. It usually coincides with installation of app updates.

Strictly speaking, it isn't necessary. However, if one has a lot of apps on the phone, it's more or less inevitable that a few are not written as well as they could be and detritus of one kind or another tends to collect between reboots. Furthermore, I've found the best test of app updates occurs after a reboot.

Jcook54

Reaction score
I've already made my comments but I would like to commend you, jsh1120, on your use of "detritus". Excellent choice as the definition fits perfectly with the idea you are trying to convey.

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I've found that I occasionally run into a problem with an app and that turning it off and back on clears it up. I was having trouble with getting the GPS to lock and a reboot took care of it.

I'm loathe to reboot because I had to do so many batter pulls with my Blackberry that everytime I have to reboot the Droid I have flashbacks :)

digitalzen

Reaction score
Lithium hydride batteries are different from all other kinds of rechargeable batteries in that they should be charged early and often, like voting in Chicago. A discharge every 3-4 months will help a little in terms of extending life and resetting the internal chip, but generally speaking a full discharge should ALWAYS be avoided, as it facilitates the oxidation that reduces the battery's capacity.

Also, high temperatures are a lithium hydride battery's worst nightmare. An hour in a parked car on a sunny day can reduce the life of the battery by half. Heat isn't good for any battery, but for LiH it is DEATH. Unlike primary lithium-based batteries (photo batteries) they do not have good heat resistance or long shelf-life. Plan on replacing them every two to three years (like you won't replace the phone before that - snicker).

Finally, if you want to store one for long periods, charge it fully, *discharge it to about half to 40%* seal it in a plastic bag at room temp, and store it in the vegetable drawer of the fridge -- NOT the freezer. Be sure to let it come to room temp before you take it out of the bag.

I may be a "junior droid" but I've been managing portable radios and their equipment for police departments since before most of you kiddies were born.

Last edited: