How to turn Verizon off?

changerOfSea

Reaction score
Update on Skype

FWIW how skype is programmed on the droid,

if you have WIFI on, it tells you to turn it off so that they can go over the cell service (don't quite know why if its not eating your minutes)

Also, as said, being in airplane mode with WIFI on does stop you from getting and receiving calls

hairdewx

Reaction score
At least on my Droid, skype will not work through wi-fi.

My wife just went to Japan for two weeks and turned on airplane mode and enabled wifi. She had to use her laptop to use skype, though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

if you have WIFI on, it tells you to turn it off so that they can go over the cell service (don't quite know why if its not eating your minutes)

Also, as said, being in airplane mode with WIFI on does stop you from getting and receiving calls

No that is not right. Airplane mode disconnects you from the Verizon service. You cannot receive calls. I just tried it from my home phone. You go straight to voice mail.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what changerOfSea said (re-read the last sentence you quoted)?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work like that. Google voice uses your cell minutes through your access number.

I dont think Google Voice uses your minutes. Can anyone prove this?

Yeah, I can't show you my bill or anything but I've seen where I've used GV to make a call and it was added on to my minutes. It has to contact the GV number first and that's where the charge is.

The way to get around it is to be on a friends and family plan and have you GV number as one of your friends.

ricks

Reaction score
Doesn't work like that. Google voice uses your cell minutes through your access number.

Yeah, I can't show you my bill or anything but I've seen where I've used GV to make a call and it was added on to my minutes. It has to contact the GV number first and that's where the charge is.

The way to get around it is to be on a friends and family plan and have you GV number as one of your friends.
I dont see any minutes used on my bill when I used Google Voice for calls or texts.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I dont see any minutes used on my bill when I used Google Voice for calls or texts.

Don't know what to tell you. I did.

Oddly enough I didn't see it when I had the Storm but I sure saw it when I went to the Droid.

hairdewx

Reaction score

No that is not right. Airplane mode disconnects you from the Verizon service. You cannot receive calls. I just tried it from my home phone. You go straight to voice mail.

You guys are saying the same thing :p

joker402

Reaction score
Turn air plane mode and then use wifi. Thats how I do it, and text still come threw via GV but i hardly every use GV for anything but Voicemail to Text.

bje1982

Reaction score
How on the Droid, can I turn the Verizon network off and just use WiFi?
Put the phone in Airplaine Mode and turn on wifi

Edit: Just saw that someone said that lol

Edit: Edit: You will not be able to recieve calls or texts while in airplane mode except if its google voice texts or a similar web based program.