how much bandwidth have you tethered?

droijo

Reaction score
I basically want to know how much you guys have tethered and the most risk (if you can call it that) you have taken while tethering? I.e.torrent, 1gb files, etc..

I've only done 11mb because I'm still paranoid, so i'd like to see how far you guys have pushed it and if you guys do so consistently month to month.

Last edited:

compywiz

Reaction score
Few hundred megabytes here. I just use it for web though. It would be stupid in my opinion to blatantly use computer only applications while tethering.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
forum search is a great tool

Find me a thread answering all my questions so you can look cool.

@rsswg, do you consistently use this much bandwidth and any particular program you use that takes the bulk of the bandwidth or just online browsing?

Rsswga

Reaction score
to be honest this is the first time i have looked at the data usage.its mainly only browsing, with a few roms and themes downloaded..email download to

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I feel a little better now. If everyone else can input more info that'd be great!

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Maybe 20 megabytes a month? The only time I ever tether is if I need a different IP address for something (rarely, if ever.) or if I'm driving somewhere with my brother, and he wants to get on Facebook on his iPod Touch or something.

cromo8

Reaction score
the most ive risked is just around 16 GBs

played MW2 for a while/few days ended up around 16gb of data

surprising how much more Upload there is than download

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
I only do it when I travel too like at hotels where ill have a better piece of mind tethering than using a hotel wifi. I'd like a general idea so that I know incase I ever need to use it.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
the most ive risked is just around 16 GBs

played MW2 for a while/few days ended up around 16gb of data

surprising how much more Upload there is than download

Wow. I'm surprised 3g is fast enough for that. Thanks for the input.

cromo8

Reaction score
yea i dont know exactly how but like with my wifi at home i can download a good 25 MBPS on my comp easy, my phone usu does around 1.5 3g at home but with 3g im always picked as host as if i had a better connection

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I only do it when I travel too like at hotels where ill have a better piece of mind tethering than using a hotel wifi. I'd like a general idea so that I know incase I ever need to use it.

That's my plan. Have only done some testing, a few megs, to see what optimal channel is with my laptop.

I view a little tethering if you are on the road as perfectly within the spirit of the contract. Technically, stealing, but their overages are 10 cents a meg....so what are a few megs here and there?

Here's the thing: they have just two plans available for tethering: $20 for 2 gigs and $30 for 5 gigs, but nothing smaller and no pay-per-use. Some hotels charge $10-$15 per day for internet (always the nicer ones, go figure), so break-even would be 2 days of usage a month (pretty reasonable from that perspective). Not sure if it's data card or a tethering plan, but they offer a daily 100mb for $15 (funny, that's the price hotels charge but theirs is high-speed and unlimited).

Just seems high pricing for a convenience factor - I can browse on my Droid but the bigger laptop screen is preferable. Any files I need to send via email I can just as easily move to my Droid from PC to send and vice versa. Offer a data plan with 250mb tethering allowance per month (realize N/A for rooted users) for $5 additional and I bet they would sell a ton of those plans.

mikec5867

Reaction score
What ROM are you running Droijo??

I haven't tried the tethering yet. I'm off on a business trip this week and I plan on trying it then.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs.

@mikec, I'm on BB.4

How many of you guys do this consistently month to month?