How much data do you use monthly?

Veraster

Reaction score
I got my new Droid X2 on a month to month plan several weeks ago. After this cycle that im on is over, I will no longer have unlimited data :eek:hmy: Some places on the internet say this is horrible because most people use an average of 15gb on their phones while some places say that most people dont even go over 500mb.

If everybody who reads this could post how much bandwidth they use and what they do on their phones, it would be helpful so I could get a better idea of how much 2gb of data really is.

Thanks

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've used less than 2gb per month for a while. And I'm on my phone alot with Tapatalk, yahoo im, and surfing the web.

end of line...

FernBch

Reaction score
I usually use 750mb to 1.5gb/month. I have never passed 2gb. I surf from my DX more than my pc.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The majority of people stay under the 2GB, but what other people do and what you do are completely different matters. This would almost be like going into an *insert motor vehicle here* forum and asking How many gallons of gas do you use monthly so I can gauge how much I am going to use?. Way too many variables.

Can't you look at your statements to see how much you have been using?

Data Calculator <-- that can give you an idea of numbers, but I wouldn't really lean too heavily on that as there are a lot more variables. How often are you around wifi? App downloads and updates aren't included on that list, if you have a lot of apps, especially larger apps that update frequently, this can add up to a decent amount. There are many other variables as well that the calculator doesn't include.

To answer your question, my data usage is all over the place. There have been a few months where I have hit around 8GB, and then there have been many months where I have been under 1GB. My daughter uses about 5GB, more in Summer months since she is out of school.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you log in to your account, you can see how much you've used. I know that doesn't help you right now, but it will in the future.

Also, I'm on the road a lot and I'm constantly downloading ROMs and the like through 3G and I don't think I've ever been over 1.5, much less 2.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
roughly 1.5gb, but i'm only on the 6th day of my new month and i'm past 1gb:icon_ banana:

OP
V

Veraster

Reaction score
roughly 1.5gb, but i'm only on the 6th day of my new month and i'm past 1gb:icon_ banana:
Holy crap.. What do you do on your phone? Im really mad that verizon took away unlimited data because that's the #1 reason i chose them in the first place. #2 was because they had the Droid. You would have to be paying the $80 on tired data -____-

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Holy crap.. What do you do on your phone? Im really mad that verizon took away unlimited data because that's the #1 reason i chose them in the first place. #2 was because they had the Droid. You would have to be paying the $80 on tired data -____-

my friend decided to waste my battery and play the 3hr nyan cat video on my phone -_-

I've been tethering alot lately too. Been doing alot of studying at the local coffee shop and they only provide 1hr per drink, so I just tether

OP
V

Veraster

Reaction score

my friend decided to waste my battery and play the 3hr nyan cat video on my phone -_-

I've been tethering alot lately too. Been doing alot of studying at the local coffee shop and they only provide 1hr per drink, so I just tether

If you had to use tired data would it be worth paying the $50 for 5GB?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I'm on unlimited, so definitely no. Did I need to tether when I did? No, but it's nice to have.

Having to pay twice for the same data plan with just another capability is pretty outrageous to me. I can understand VZW doing it, but it's criminal in my book. Already pay for it on my phone, why do I have to pay more to use my phone's full capabilities?

That being said, many will disagree with me, but that's just how I feel. The only way I'd consider paying for a tethering plan is if somehow it miraculously gives me 4g speeds on my other device for some reason.

Shark0311

Reaction score
I'm at 4 gb on the phone and 650 mb tethering.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
V

Veraster

Reaction score

I'm on unlimited, so definitely no. Did I need to tether when I did? No, but it's nice to have.

Having to pay twice for the same data plan with just another capability is pretty outrageous to me. I can understand VZW doing it, but it's criminal in my book. Already pay for it on my phone, why do I have to pay more to use my phone's full capabilities?

That being said, many will disagree with me, but that's just how I feel. The only way I'd consider paying for a tethering plan is if somehow it miraculously gives me 4g speeds on my other device for some reason.

I didn't mean pay for tethering. I agree with you on how you shouldn't have to pay for tethering. I was talking about paying for the 5gb of data instead of the small 2gb of data.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I didn't mean pay for tethering. I agree with you on how you shouldn't have to pay for tethering. I was talking about paying for the 5gb of data instead of the small 2gb of data.

For me, no I wouldn't pay for 5gb, I think I'd be good with 2gb. I'd have to monitor my use of course, but I don't ever see myself getting near 5gb, unless my friend decides she's funny and plays 3hr nyan cat again...

Considering I usually average under 2gb a month, I'd go with that plan.