how long does your gmail sync last?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Found this on google code:

Comment 9 by logansanoh, Feb 03, 2010
Maybe needs to be added to the WIKI - I found that sync has issues if your time and date and regional settings differ between the phone and gmail/google online settings.
Also, (and I am going to have to put this in several open issues as its a wide spread issue) - going from WIFI back to 3G, when the wifi drops out, will kill the connect ability to google servers. Internet will still work but cannot connect to google. If you switch wifi off and back on when in range again, it all works fine. If you switch wifi off while in range back to 3G, it also still works. Current solution from google on this is to perform a HARD RESET.
Your welcome.

Issue 1866 - android - Sync autenthication problem - Project Hosting on Google Code

Purgatory

Reaction score
I'm using the gmail app, account settings are set to sync. Inbox label is syncing 4 days though I just changed it to "all" to see if it helps.

In another thread there is a discussion about the stock email app not polling pop accounts after a while. One of the users said he discovered that this only happens when he uses wifi. When he's done with wifi he shuts it off and reboots the phone and then the email polling works perfectly. I wonder if this is causing the problem for me. I'd hate to turn off wifi but I'm gonna try it out. Who knows, maybe I have an old wireless router or something? I'll give it a try and report back if the problem has stopped.

yes, my thread for the email not syncing with POP3 is here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/21940-email-solution.html
I keep updating so everyone can see my steps of what is happening with each test to the POP3 accounts. I guess the issue of Gmail not getting emails is also possibly solved with turning Wi-Fi off as well, but I am only trying with POP3 as I never had any issues with any of my three Gmail accounts.
For the record, my Gmail account is also only pulling the last four days in labels, and I have not played with this once.

The other issue I see is that Gmail is supposed to be pushing its emails to our phones, which saves a fair amount of battery life, as well as doesn't take up as much CPU cycles. But if the pushing out of emails isn't working for whatever reason, I wonder if the email defaults back to trying to pull emails, which will constantly poll on the phone, but this probably hasn't been set up with their email clients on the phone (though the iPhone pulls Gmail IMAP emails the same as our POP3 accounts do on the Android platform). This would be an interesting test.

I will also say, since I have not been having any issues with my Gmail account, I also have not had a problem with my Calendar syncing or contacts (I am not connected to Facebook to sync either).

Except for the last part of what you gave for a link, this issue also states that it is having an issue with syncing when people try and sync, I never saw that with either POP3 or with gmail. The last part does however state that they recognize and issue going between different connections, which I stated in my post seemed to be the issue.

Last edited: