how long does your gmail sync last?

acidrane

Reaction score
i, like most people, have issues with gmail syncing. after putting the phone in airplane mode, clearing the gmail cache and data, restarting the phone, taking airplane mode off, my gmail sync will work maybe for a day or 2 max, then it will stop again. how long does yours last?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i, like most people, have issues with gmail syncing. after putting the phone in airplane mode, clearing the gmail cache and data, restarting the phone, taking airplane mode off, my gmail sync will work maybe for a day or 2 max, then it will stop again. how long does yours last?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

No, you're in the right spot. You just happen to be wrong about most people having problems with gmail syncing.:) Most people don't have a problem with it, you only see the one's who do have problems talking about it. Why would someone who doesn't have a problem with it talk about it?

OP
A

acidrane

Reaction score
i guess...but what's the point of a smartphone when it doesn't sync up correctly and you are unable to receive important emails?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
About a week / at least three days. I wonder if it would be possible to write an app that would clear the data every day. I doubt it, unless you are rooted. By the way, all I do is clear the Gmail Storage data. Don't reboot, etc. that you listed and it seems to work fine.

I've heard it mentioned that the sync issue is exacerbated by sending attachments. I'm not sure if this is true, though.

I have a gut feeling that the problem is worse when I use the web-based gmail client to delete emails/etc. Maybe the sync problem occurs less often if I only use the droid to delete/move emails. I'm not sure if this is true at all. I'm going to experiment.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i guess...but what's the point of a smartphone when it doesn't sync up correctly and you are unable to receive important emails?

To be honest I think most of this problem is having to do with people not knowing how to sync their mail properly to gmail. Some don't even have sync turned on. If you go to the gmail web site and look at settings, make sure you have everything configured properly. There are help links on each tab.

What email are you using?

OP
A

acidrane

Reaction score

To be honest I think most of this problem is having to do with people not knowing how to sync their mail properly to gmail. Some don't even have sync turned on. If you go to the gmail web site and look at settings, make sure you have everything configured properly. There are help links on each tab.

What email are you using?

im using gmail.

Blackout

Reaction score
There is a bug report for this on the google code site. I encourage people to go there and "star" this item to vote for it.

Issue 5462 - android - GMail Sync Issues [GMail App / Android 2.0 / Motorola DROID] - Project Hosting on Google Code

In my case I don't think it is user error. Why would it work for a week and then stop? Why does clearing gmail storage fix it immediately?

how does one "star" this?

good to know this is a known issue, now someone needs to fix it lol

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is a bug report for this on the google code site. I encourage people to go there and "star" this item to vote for it.

Issue 5462 - android - GMail Sync Issues [GMail App / Android 2.0 / Motorola DROID] - Project Hosting on Google Code

In my case I don't think it is user error. Why would it work for a week and then stop? Why does clearing gmail storage fix it immediately?

how does one "star" this?

good to know this is a known issue, now someone needs to fix it lol

I don't know guys. There are what(?) 1.2 or 1.3 million Droids out there and there are 23 people on that link you provided. That doesn't sound like a known issue. That sounds like 23 people that are having issues that are probably due to app conflicts/wrong settings/etc. with their gmail account. This "know issue" sure is hitting a small number of people.

If it was me; I'd delete my account settings totally and start from scratch. Also, setup your google email in K-9 and let it push the emails to there for a while and see if it does. These kind of things can tell you more about what is going on.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Gmail and Corporate email with Exchange. I purchased my Droid on Dec 26 and started receiving email in both account less than an hour after I purchased the phone.

I've never lost my connection, any email, nor have I had to re sync.

Mike

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Gmail and Corporate email with Exchange. I purchased my Droid on Dec 26 and started receiving email in both account less than an hour after I purchased the phone.

I've never lost my connection, any email, nor have I had to re sync.

Mike

same here but i got my droid the day it was released. have never had any sync issues i use both gmail and corp calendar. i send about 75 emails a day and recieve well over 100 per day with gmail. then the corp calendar i just recieve about 50 a day i dont send much from there.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How long have you been working for Toyota?

For about as long as you've been letting the mainstream media do your thinking for you. (sorry for that comment, the pettiness in me won out). :) Your comment did make me chuckle. It was funny and I like funny.

I did have to laugh about reading of the person describing a 6 mile terror ride in their runaway Toyota. I mean why would I care what a person that is not smart enough to slip the transmission into neutral over the course of 6 miles have to say??? And the "hearings" - one of the best run organizations being investigated by one of the worse run organizations in the history of the world. I mean really? Really? Really?

porcelain

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. It's actually more common than some realize, I think. I did a lot of searching forums and whatnot to find others with the same problem.

I have two Gmail accounts set up on my phone. They are both set up correctly. They are set to sync automatically. Sync is on and all that stuff. As far as I see it, there is not any user error on my part.

Sometimes my emails come through on time, but they usually do not. I am constantly having to refresh my inboxes myself to get my new emails.

I read that someone uninstalled Advanced Task Killer because it was causing him this same problem with Gmail. I did the same but it only helped for a few hours.

There has to be a fix.

kmasum

Reaction score
before i was having sync issue with my gmail, but last few weeks its been very quick !! getting my email rite away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!