how long does your gmail sync last?

porcelain

Reaction score
I noticed today that my emails seem to come through right after a new update is installed. Not sure why that is though?

This morning I updated Twidroid. Once the download was complete, emails started coming through that were sent hours before.

Just tonight I updated ColorNote and the same thing... My emails that were sent hours prior came through.

crspang

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts set up on my phone and I haven't had any problems at all since December. My calendars sync well also. I hate to say it but I'm calling user error on this one.

porcelain

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts set up on my phone and I haven't had any problems at all since December. My calendars sync well also. I hate to say it but I'm calling user error on this one.

If it's user error, I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. A girl at the Verizon store set up my first email account. I set up the other.

Sync is on for both accounts. In "Accounts & Sync Settings," I have background data and auto-sync checked. Gmail is not being kill by an app killer or anything. I don't have any problems getting my emails right away on Google's website or the Mail program on my Mac.

I don't know what's wrong? So I can't see how this is user error on my part. For some, maybe. But I think there is something else that needs to be fixed.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do the people who don't have gmail sync problems send attachments from their droid's gmail acct? This was one theory for the cause of this. Do you use wifi?

I have no market apps that run in the background--no task killer, nothing. My gmail is great most of the time. I don't understand where this "user error" could be. Nonetheless, I'm going to muck about with things and I'll let you know if I figure anything out. One thing I do use is "gmail notifier". It doesn't run in the background. Anyone with sync problems using that app? Hmm...

rjax

Reaction score
This might help some of you: killing the gtalk service stops gmail sync (ridiculous, but true), so make sure that gtalk service is running.

crspang

Reaction score
For the ones having issues.....

Are you using the "email" app or the "gmail" app? There are two different email apps on a stock Droid, email and gmail.

The "email" app polls the server every 15 minutes by default. You can shorten the duration of polls by going to email>menubutton>settings>frequency.

Or set up your gmail account using the "gmail" app. There is no polling option in this app, emails are pushed like an SMS.

crspang

Reaction score
Porceline said "If it's user error, I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. A girl at the Verizon store set up my first email account. I set up the other.

Sync is on for both accounts. In "Accounts & Sync Settings," I have background data and auto-sync checked. Gmail is not being kill by an app killer or anything. I don't have any problems getting my emails right away on Google's website or the Mail program on my Mac.

I don't know what's wrong? So I can't see how this is user error on my part. For some, maybe. But I think there is something else that needs to be fixed."

Also when from the home screen you press the soft menu key>settings>accounts & sync

that does NOT sync your email. That is to sync your contacts and market account info.

Like I said above use the settings in the individual email or gmail APP.

Last edited:

porcelain

Reaction score
For me, sometimes gtalk is running and sometimes it's not. I don't shut it down but it does occasionally show up in the Running Services. I've never even actually used the thing. I suppose I'll try opening gtalk and see if that helps. Although, I'm not sure why that has to be running in order for the gmail app to work properly?

I haven't sent any attachments in emails on my Droid. I don't really use Wi-Fi either. I have turned it on a few times and signed on to my home Internet, but that's it. It's not running.

crspang: I'm using the gmail app. Not the email app.

porcelain

Reaction score
Porceline said "If it's user error, I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. A girl at the Verizon store set up my first email account. I set up the other.

I don't know what's wrong? So I can't see how this is user error on my part. For some, maybe. But I think there is something else that needs to be fixed."

Also when from the home screen you press the soft menu key>settings>accounts & sync

that does NOT sync your email. That is to sync your contacts and market account info.

Like I said above use the settings in the individual email or gmail APP.

Well, when I go into Accounts & Sync, when I click on my individual accounts, it has options to sync contacts, calender, and email. So I figured that had something to do with gmail sync. That's all.

And when I check the sync from the actual gmail app, it says everything is synced.

crspang

Reaction score
For me, sometimes gtalk is running and sometimes it's not. I don't shut it down but it does occasionally show up in the Running Services. I've never even actually used the thing. I suppose I'll try opening gtalk and see if that helps. Although, I'm not sure why that has to be running in order for the gmail app to work properly?

I haven't sent any attachments in emails on my Droid. I don't really use Wi-Fi either. I have turned it on a few times and signed on to my home Internet, but that's it. It's not running.

crspang: I'm using the gmail app. Not the email app.

I wish I knew what else to tell you. Sorry :-(

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Gmail configuration settings for synch

In the Gmail app, under Settings, Labels, there is a synch setting for Duration and a setting for each label. How is that set ?

porcelain

Reaction score
Well, oddly enough, right now gtalk is running and my email is coming through fine. So I suppose rjax was right.

I guess I'll see how it works the rest of the day...

Thanks for all your help everyone! :)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using the gmail app, account settings are set to sync. Inbox label is syncing 4 days though I just changed it to "all" to see if it helps.

In another thread there is a discussion about the stock email app not polling pop accounts after a while. One of the users said he discovered that this only happens when he uses wifi. When he's done with wifi he shuts it off and reboots the phone and then the email polling works perfectly. I wonder if this is causing the problem for me. I'd hate to turn off wifi but I'm gonna try it out. Who knows, maybe I have an old wireless router or something? I'll give it a try and report back if the problem has stopped.