How long do you guys tether for on avg?

razorseal

Reaction score
I'm just curious how regularly some people tether here... an hour a day? all day? some of you might even use your droid as your main internet source at your house instead of cable/dsl...

I'm just curious

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i only use it for when im in my room (3rd floor on my house) bc my wireless router wont reach ~1 hr or so

but my friend also does it and uses it as his main internet source and even to play WOW

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
I tether my laptop at work, as a lot of good stuff is blocked there. I'll leave it plugged in all day with no problems and hot connecting/disconnecting is no problem at all. I love it!

OP
R

razorseal

Reaction score
from the reviews it looks like it's a rarely used thing... yet we want it so bad...

mjforte

Reaction score
Well I don't use tethering all that often, only if I'm in a place without wifi, but its definitely a nice feature to have. And most of the time instead of using my laptop for internet, I find myself just using my Droid anyway.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i use it often but not quite as often when im at work. since im block from downloading roms :D. i turn it on and i just go go go. LOL also use it at places like starbucks when i need to do presentation that requires internet demonstration of stuff or retrieve files. :) comes in handy if anything.

OP
R

razorseal

Reaction score
How long does it last you guys? how is the uptime? does it go down alot?

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
I use it at work, 10 hours a day, it will occasionally go offline, but I think this is just because the signal in the building is not always that strong. Two clicks on the laptop and it's back online, never a problem.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I use it for work from time to time when I have no connection available , when I'm at a friend's house where the internet sucks and occasionally to tether my neighbors when the internet is down :))

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I am on hour 1 of a 7 hour trip home from Universal/MGM and I'm tethering right now...

it's also my home internet.... I don't use it for WoW or anything, but I also didn't use my $50/month home internet for that. So why pay $50 more a month for the same thing I get for free from the droid?

I do use it a lot, and exclusively....

def one of the selling points for me...

REMilk

Reaction score
I use tether for internet access when in airports that charge for WiFi and then usually for less than an hour at a time. There is no WiFi or high-speed internet access at my mother's house so when I visit her (a few days at a time), I tether three or 4 times a day for about 1/2 hour at a time.

Once in a blue moon, I will disconnect the laptop from the company network and tether for a few minutes to handle some personal email access.

Tegamal

Reaction score
When I'm at work on lunch breaks (like right now, as a matter of fact!) is about the only time I Tether, unless my internet goes down at home, which is next to never.

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I'll tell you guys what. When I first got PDANet I used it a lot at work (they are funny about us using company computers for personal use, but they don't care at all if you bring in your own device). After the novelty wore off, I really only use it when I have to do something on the internet that requires a PC. The Droid is so awesome that I can do 95% of the things I want to do on the phone itself.

If the keyboard was like a BB keyboard, I don't know that I'd really tether at all. The only time I really need the PC is when I'm typing out a long email or message board post. My hand cramps up on those on the Droid.

Droidfish

Reaction score
It's my exclusive internet access at home, but since I have a good connection at work all day, looking at my computer is the last thing I want to do at home.

So even with it being my only access I would have to say I use it about a total of 1-2 hrs a week. With an occasional night thrown in there where I'll surf for several hours researching or reading.

Nothing data intensive