How is the quality of Samsung phones?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe Samsung continues to sell millions of their Android devices all while having terrible radios. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I feel we would have been made more aware of the issue at some point.

I have read about problems they've had with GPS in the past, but the last 2 devices they've released have been fine according to the reviews I've read.

Would you mind providing us with the Verizon testers results that prove the Nexus is having connectivity issues?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Verizon testers look to already be having issues with connectivity on the nex. Google can't fix a physically bad Samsung radio or GPS with a software update. Anyone looking to buy this phone should wait for confirmation that the GPS works in multiple instances and locks within seconds. Also get confirmation that the phone doesn't drop data often. And you cannot compare the Galaxy S2 drop test to the G Nex because the S2 has a metal housing and the G Nex is made of plastic.

Sent from my Incredible 2

I was more impressed with the drop on the screen, it didn't get one crack in it. For me it really doesn't matter as I'll be gearing my G-Nex up with an Otterbox and screen protector to avoid such disaster.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the tester info link http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-news-rumors/9760-verizon-getting-galaxy-nexus.html
It could just be speculation idk.

I have seen people talk about s2 connection issues but it could be just a handful of people since I can't find the link now. Its just that Samsung hasn't been trustworthy in the very recent past and I think it might be beneficial to wait for reviews on connectivity and GPS on G Nex before one buys one.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen this post a while back, from a Bionic user, on a pretty weak forum that's barely 2 pages long. Somehow I think if we haven't heard it here or Droid life, it's probably made up.

So we have one 'source' saying it has spotty LTE connection and we've heard it no where else, I think I'll keep this news in the rumor section.

???

Reaction score
oh great... i'm starting to hate cellphones. why do they all have to be crap?

i mean really, why cant i have atleast one good working phone to buy. and why can't they just put a 2000ma battery in the lte nexus stock so it will last a while. blah. super thin and lite-weight for the sake of a useable battery is just crap. i go thru 2 batterys a day in my D1, i start the day with the stock one, and swap out my extended battery before lunch, then that takes me to the end of the day, most of the time. i feel like two 2ah batterys in the nexus might do the same, which would be nice. extended batterys are $

my D1 has held up will for 2 years, but i'm ready for a bigger screen with smooth flash player and i've replaced the keyboard 3 times from wearing out lol. i hate to make the non qwerty jumb, but i was thinking the nexus was the one. but blah if it doesn't have good 4g signal, whats the point.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Qwerty keyboards are old news for exactly the reason you mentioned, they wear out, so I'd just start practicing with the onscreen and get used to them.

As for the 4g signal being weak on the Nexus, I don't buy it, it's stated by one person on some random forum and we've heard nothing else about it.

The Bionic on the other hand can't hold a signal to save it's life and there's multitudes of threads about it on this forum, so maybe it's the service?

I say we stick with the facts, for which there are none against the Nexus as of yet. I imagine we'll hear more about it this week.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Anybody know how the Charge does overall? I havent heard anything about that phone at all. I'd imagine if it were terrible, we would have heard about it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how the Charge does overall? I havent heard anything about that phone at all. I'd imagine if it were terrible, we would have heard about it.

My cousin has it. Her gps takes a long time to lock and her 4g is always dropping. I don't know if these are common problems though. Some people really like the charge.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
black_man_x The Panda King
vzw has their own plan for the nexus rls, before those run amuck with this I will say the device performs great on LTE..

I trust Panda more, he nailed the MAP date a month ago. Makes me think he is either working on the device, or knows someone directly working on it.

Most people there are saying it's Verizon that's having the problem switching from 3g to 4g or 4g to 3g because it's not specific to one phone/manufacturer.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I trust Panda more, he nailed the MAP date a month ago. Makes me think he is either working on the device, or knows someone directly working on it.

Most people there are saying it's Verizon that's having the problem switching from 3g to 4g or 4g to 3g because it's not specific to one phone/manufacturer.

Yea you are right. Panda is usually on point. They may have fixed the issue by now.

???

Reaction score
Qwerty keyboards are old news for exactly the reason you mentioned, they wear out, so I'd just start practicing with the onscreen and get used to them.

As for the 4g signal being weak on the Nexus, I don't buy it, it's stated by one person on some random forum and we've heard nothing else about it.

The Bionic on the other hand can't hold a signal to save it's life and there's multitudes of threads about it on this forum, so maybe it's the service?

I say we stick with the facts, for which there are none against the Nexus as of yet. I imagine we'll hear more about it this week.

will deff be waiting for reviews of the nexus.

and no qwerty's are not old news cause they wear out, only crappy ones wear out. like this D1's. i had a sk2 and sk3 for much longer than i really should have, but i returned the G1 i tried cause it was total junk back then and couldn't touch the messengers of the sk's, hell until kik dropped a few months ago, all the
messengers still were crap on droids, but i over looked it for everythng else, but anyways. i went back to the sk3 till the D1 dropped and i could make the switch. point being. those keyboards never wore out, typed great, an i mean you could type blind folded, i could type almost as fast at on this real computer keyboard without even looking. they just worked. onscreen will never touch that.

but without going to another service i'm stuck with bs, but i do hope its good bs in every other way lol.

for those that will laugh at me for liking sidekicks and *****ing about a nexus all in the same post haha, times move on. but i did read that the guy that build the sk's left danger before Microsoft bought them out, and started another company to build a cell phone software again, that google ended up buying and calling android. i'm sure there's more to it than that and more than just one guy. but still, there's a link.

i still laugh at my old fisher price phones too haha. but damn if they didn't handle aim and stuff as well has a home pc.

ok, as you can tell. i type to much.

oh and my girl has a thunderbolt, and after the update, it does fine on 4g in tampa. the bolt is said to be one of the worst 4g phones too, so maybe it is just the network in other towns.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You only think they're quicker because you've spent more time using the qwerty. I would guarantee you can't come close to typing as fast and precise as many of us do on the on screen keyboard.

You're having to physically push a button down, you don't realize it, but those milliseconds do add up when it takes nothing but a touch of a finger to hit a key with the on screen keyboard.

Whether you want to believe it or not, qwerty keyboards are a dying breed and the products being released prove just that.

Last edited:

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
that's like claiming that a touchpad is faster than a mouse for a computer b/c you don't have to move your finger as far and you only need to touch it lightly. of course the problem is the imprecision of touching versus having real tactile feedback and well deliniated boundries of the buttons that you can feel

akhi216

Reaction score
that's like claiming that a touchpad is faster than a mouse for a computer b/c you don't have to move your finger as far and you only need to touch it lightly. of course the problem is the imprecision of touching versus having real tactile feedback and well deliniated boundries of the buttons that you can feel

This. I don't think I've seen a more inaccurate statement. First it's common sense that you'll have more accuracy typing on a physical keyboard than as opposed to a virtual kb. Since you'll make more mistake with the virtual kb you'll do more correcting, without arrow keys like the ones found on the slider kbs that will take time. It will take more time if you're in landscape mode. And sliders are a dying breed? I don't think so. It's true that more people prefer a touchscreen-only phones but there is a market for sliders. I mean, 7-10 years from now you're not gonna walk into a store and see no sliders, hence sliders are not a dying breed. There will always be that crowd that prefers or need a phone with a physical kb. There will always be messaging phones. Touchscreen-only phones aren't for everyone...end of story.

The thing about preaching against hard keyboards is that they usually fail to see that hard kbs is an added OPTION. To those who use hard keyboards the miniscule added weight and thickness for the OPTION to use the hard keyboard is generally regarded as a fair tradeoff. One can obsess over the thickness of a phone falling into the hoopla that surrounds all of that media hype, but nothing beats having a physical kb to type a long email. I'm led to believe that most of the would-be slider bashers are ex-iPhone owners that got tired of CrApple's CrAp who are still iSheep at heart.

Nevertheless I may buy a G Nexus just to have the ability to switch my 4G sim into it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums