How is the quality of Samsung phones?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
remind me about samsung gps, oh yeah they... Are... Hmmm... Worthless

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

How is that relevant to what I said? I didn't mention anything about Samsung GPS. The build quality of phones and GPS are completely different. First off, you don't normally carry a GPS with you in your pocket or use it to check emails and surf the net, it would normally be sitting in your vehicle 99% of the time. Smartphones on the other hand are used frequently throughout the day so the chances of you dropping your phone are higher than your GPS therefore Samsung's phone are made with a better quality than a GPS. Why would you buy a GPS when most phones if not all come with GPS already?

jerroedr

Reaction score
i think is because the galaxy line of phones was horrible as far as gps, and sammy released them knowing this

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
How is that relevant to what I said? I didn't mention anything about Samsung GPS. The build quality of phones and GPS are completely different. First off, you don't normally carry a GPS with you in your pocket or use it to check emails and surf the net, it would normally be sitting in your vehicle 99% of the time. Smartphones on the other hand are used frequently throughout the day so the chances of you dropping your phone are higher than your GPS therefore Samsung's phone are made with a better quality than a GPS. Why would you buy a GPS when most phones if not all come with GPS already?

the term build typically refers to all the components, final form and function... name 1 samsung phone that did not feel cheap and flimsy... or receive a timely over the air update.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Your mistake is that it's not just a Samsung phone, it's a Nexus phone. There's a huge difference since Google will be the one to send out updates and they won't just stop after 6 months. Samsung may have built the phone but Google is maintaining it which is what I think most people don't grasp. So you won't be buying a Samsung phone, you'll be buy a Nexus. :)

When did the nexus s get the gingerbread or froyo update, and that was all google... Google or not, Sammy has constantly put out fire and forget phones...

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Thought about that, I'm one of those people that after upgrading to ics the wasted space of the hardware buttons would drive me nuts.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Actually I came across a article about ICS. I guess there was some news releases from Google on it and the article pointed out that past devices like the Bionic or Razr or anything that has came out recently that might get a ICS update said that the software will be able to use the hardware buttons and get rid of the software buttons that's built into ICS. This also goes on to mention that as a reminder Android is open source and will have all kinds of options in the future from devs.

Sent from my Moto Droid

powerwagon

Reaction score

Lol, I think he was talking about Samsung phone's ability to pick up a GPS signal, not a stand alone Samsung GPS.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
the term build typically refers to all the components, final form and function... name 1 samsung phone that did not feel cheap and flimsy... or receive a timely over the air update.

Ok, I get that but do you think Google would invest in a phone that had multiple issues or was cheaply made? Check the video out of the SGSII drop test, my guess is we should expect the same quality "shell-wise". As for the inner components I haven't gotten my hands on a G-Nex(obviously) to give my final judgement but on paper it looks pretty darn quality to me, maybe not the best of the best but I'm sure there are explanations for that. On the confirmed info I have to go off of I'd say it's going to be a quality built phone that is going to pee all over Apple.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
When did the nexus s get the gingerbread or froyo update, and that was all google... Google or not, Sammy has constantly put out fire and forget phones...

Wasn't the Nexus S shipped with Gingerbread? Anyway, it was said Google will be sending out updates daily on the G-Nex to improve ICS where needed. I've never personally owned a Samsung or Nexus phone before so I can't speak from experience but from reading about the G-Nex everyday for the past 2 months rumors and confirmed info it sounds like this phone is going to be unlike any other Samsung phone. Just my opinion though.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Ok, I get that but do you think Google would invest in a phone that had multiple issues or was cheaply made? Check the video out of the SGSII drop test, my guess is we should expect the same quality "shell-wise". As for the inner components I haven't gotten my hands on a G-Nex(obviously) to give my final judgement but on paper it looks pretty darn quality to me, maybe not the best of the best but I'm sure there are explanations for that. On the confirmed info I have to go off of I'd say it's going to be a quality built phone that is going to pee all over Apple.

I don't like this drop test video cause to me it doesn't really show much about quality. Plastic is soft and gives easily so if its dropped its probably gonna fair out better but I thank this is going away from the question about quality. U can't say (neccesairly) that it has better quality just because it held up in a test videoI work in a machine shop with metal everyday and I thank that's the problem with every company these days is they are trying to replace metal with plastic just like car manufacturers.

I thank being that its a nexus device means that the quality will be at a higher standard like what I discovered with the nexus my buddy has, just my 2 cents tho.

Sent from my Moto Droid

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

You're simply lying to yourself if you believe the Galaxy Nexus won't be receiving OTA updates in a timely manor.

akhi216

Reaction score
Never had a Samsung phone before, well a dumb phone a million years ago.

How is the quality,reception,Gps,data radios,etc?

Have a thunderbolt now and it is garbage,besides the software problems it gets terrible reception and loses data signal a lot.

I've always like Motorola phones for there hardware. I torn between the razor and nexus hardware wise.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

My experience with Samsung devices is that they suck at maintaining a usable data connection as they frequently drop and say that they have a connection when they don't. Being a heavy user of data, Samsung's radios, more specifically their LTE radios, can't handle my needs. Call quality is acceptable, but has a lot of room for improvement; I never hear a person say that they can't hear me but too often I have to struggle to make out what the other party is saying due to their voice fading in and out. Their products are made of plastic but it becomes a non-factor until you hear noise that the phone makes if you happen to drop it. Samsung has a history of having GPS problems on their phones. The GNex supposedly includes a barometer which is said to assist with location tracking so it should be fine in that area.

The only problem with Motorola phones on VZW is VZW's insistence on locking the bootloaders on them. An unlocked bootloader would make rooting the phone and having it perform to your liking easy. The locked bootloader on my D3 has deterred me from rooting it. Of course a locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me as I'm typing on a phone with one now. But be aware that the bootloader on the DRazr will be locked per the request of Verizon.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon testers look to already be having issues with connectivity on the nex. Google can't fix a physically bad Samsung radio or GPS with a software update. Anyone looking to buy this phone should wait for confirmation that the GPS works in multiple instances and locks within seconds. Also get confirmation that the phone doesn't drop data often. And you cannot compare the Galaxy S2 drop test to the G Nex because the S2 has a metal housing and the G Nex is made of plastic.

Sent from my Incredible 2