How is the nexus better than the razr just cause it has ics 2 months early, Confused?

mdsniper7

Reaction score
So I have a og droid looking to get the razr or nexus, I love the razrs build, but all I hear is nexus this etc. How is the nexus better what are its benifets. Besides ics early. What is the big deal with a google phone. I am new to this would like to know. TY

nbucko

Reaction score
Basically the nexus will not have any manufacturer software on top of the os like all the other phones do. Some people like the added software while others feel that its too buggy and slows the phone down. With the razr you should be able to root it and install a rom that will get rid of this added software but its extra steps that could potentially brick your phone rendering it unusable.

Ics was built around the nexus and should work extremely well with the hardware as well as nexus devices are basically designed to be rooted and romed and therefore should have less risk of bricking the phone.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

fobpartisan

Reaction score
Web browser is really sticky n laggy on razr. Seems like the processor can't Handel a heavy page. Screen is better on the nexus.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
"Better" is subjective.

The main differences are that the Nexus will have vanilla Android, leaving it untouched by any manufacturer UI. The screen will also be 4.65" and I'm not sure if it's an exclusive, but the Nexus has NFC. Also because the Nexus is a pure Google device, it's most likely going to receive updates first and for the longest period of time.

And just how the Razr is the thinnest smartphone on the market, the Nexus will be the first device with ICS and most likely the only device with vanilla ICS.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Web browser is really sticky n laggy on razr. Seems like the processor can't Handel a heavy page. Screen is better on the nexus.

That's kind of weird since it's great on the Bionic.

As for the OP question. One of the biggest reason people here are giving the Nexus the time of day is because it's unlock.

Besides that I kind of wonder how people would like it if it was just a Samsung phone. With TW and what not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's kind of weird since it's great on the Bionic.

As for the OP question. One of the biggest reason people here are giving the Nexus the time of day is because it's unlock.

Besides that I kind of wonder how people would like it if it was just a Samsung phone. With TW and what not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I can answer that for myself

It'd just be another Samsung phone to me, but one I would strongly consider getting. I am not a fan of TouchWiz at all, but if for some reason it did have TouchWiz I would still consider it. The fact that it is untouched and running ICS is the selling point for me.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
nexus vs razr

So I have a og droid looking to get the razr or nexus, I love the razrs build, but all I hear is nexus this etc. How is the nexus better what are its benifets. Besides ics early. What is the big deal with a google phone. I am new to this would like to know. TY

1st 2 months early. maybe for other phones that come out with it. but dont expect ics on moto devices in january. especially with verizon running the show on updates. if people remember many of us started rooted simply because promise of froyo was delay after delay and we got tired of waiting.

on comparison's other than ics.....

galaxy nexus razr
removable battery ----------------------not removable
4460 (almost double clocked gpu underclocked 1.5)-------- 4430 (over clocked 1.0) both 1.2
32 gig internal memory(faster than sdcard) ---------sdcard(thus more storage and exchangable)
no hardware buttons-------- hardware buttons
4.65 screen (720p)(higher res)-------- (both screens should be good) 4.3 screen( 540 x 960)
stock android -----------------motoblur
updates from google------ updates from verizon
nfc-------- no nfc
nfc(is on the battery on nexus so phones maybe able to add with new batttey)(but not razr)
lte lte
little thicker----- little thinner
mostley plastic------ Kevlar(Kevlar fiber- what does that mean)
not gorilla glass ----------------gorilla glass
unlocked (most likely-never know what verizon could pull) ----------------locked and encrypted.
only additional apps are verizon's ----------------has some nice additional apps.
apps- will be able to do equivelent with nexus but razr has some nice built in abilities (locations services etc.)

so thats pretty much it.
moto has their own radio and nexus uses the other same first tech lte radios(as far as i can tell)
moto phones with this new radio all have had connection and dropped connection issues as does the razr.

i think all lte verizons phones will have this problem. i think its the network and the way it switches 3g/4g. havent really seen any of the phones that are lte that are in medium coverage areas not have this problem if in great lte coverage area there does not seem to be a problem.

so its really preference. although the specs do favor nexus as you see there are some pluses to the razor also.
the big thing is verizon has not demonstrated updates in anything youd call a timely manner while nexus devices have.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, its really preference and what minuses or pluses are more important to you.

Last edited: