How is the data usage for you guys?

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
Well, I've had my droid 3 for almost a week now and absolutely love this phone. One thing that has me puzzled is the data usage. When I was with T-Mobile, I had an unlimited plan, but it would still track your usage on the website. Usually, I'd use about 600 to 700MB a month. Going by that, I figured going with the 2GB plan for Verizon would be more than enough for me. Well, not even a week in, I have used almost 500MB, according to their website. I've basically been doing the same things on Verizon's network that I was with T-Mobile. Some internet browsing here and there, playing a youtube video every once in a while, nothing more than I ever did when I was with T-Mobile in a week's time. Is it just the way Verizon measures the data usage, or is it because I'm using a more modern phone that eats up data more than my old G1? I feel like I have to hold back now as much as possible to stay on pace to stay below 2GB. I never held back at all with T-Mobile and I'd stay well below 1GB, let alone 2GB. Anyway, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

BionicKate

Reaction score
It could be features, apps or widgets are eating your data...things that are updating continuously so always connectes. I'm super paranoid about mine so I have it linked into every wi-fi connection I spend significant time at (home, work, my parents...) this doesn't use any data on your plan. I have had my phone for less than a week so I've been using it non-stop and I'm at .056 of 2 or something...worth trying if you want to cut down data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It could be features, apps or widgets are eating your data...things that are updating continuously so always connectes. I'm super paranoid about mine so I have it linked into every wi-fi connection I spend significant time at (home, work, my parents...) this doesn't use any data on your plan. I have had my phone for less than a week so I've been using it non-stop and I'm at .056 of 2 or something...worth trying if you want to cut down data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I think BionicKate (love the name btw!!) is on to something. One additional data point would be my phone and usage. I went from a Droid1 unlimited to Bionic unlimited and my usage is the same. However, I have exactly the same widgets, apps, etc. on the Bionic as I had on the Droid 1.

acoers

Reaction score
yeah my droid 3 was my first smartphone so 2gb is the data plan i got. So like said before im on wifi at home and at work. I mean wifi is faster for surfing and downloading,plus your not using your data up. So i would try that if you can. But i wish i would have gone in earlier so i could have gotten unlimited. my upgrade was like the week after they changed everything.

OP
D

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
yeah my droid 3 was my first smartphone so 2gb is the data plan i got. So like said before im on wifi at home and at work. I mean wifi is faster for surfing and downloading,plus your not using your data up. So i would try that if you can. But i wish i would have gone in earlier so i could have gotten unlimited. my upgrade was like the week after they changed everything.

Yeah, I do wifi as much as I can, but it's usually only at home that I have access to any wifi. I'm on the road during the day for my job, so the only chance I get at wifi during the day is if I find a restaurant with it for lunch. Otherwise, it's 3G or nothing during the day. I get breaks here and there on my route and that's when I like to play around on my phone. I guess if I decide to stay with Verizon, and its tiered plan, I better stay away from anything during the day that will eat up a lot of data, like playing videos and stuff like that. Sucks that i would have to do that but it is what it is. Still find it funny that I seemed to use a lot less data on T-Mobile doing the same things that I'm doing on Verizon. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
Generally speaking, the highest point of data usage you are likely to reach is within the first couple of weeks with a new phone. It's new, you're downloading tons of apps, testing everything out, using it a lot more because you're excited, etc. The 3 things that will hit your data hard are streaming videos, streaming audio and downloading mp3's. If you do those 3 things only on Wifi, I think you'll be more than fine with a 2gb limit. I personally keep wifi on at all times at home even though I have unlimited data. It's just so much faster and it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on battery life at all with this phone. If you want to do web browsing on 3g, consider using Opera Mini Browser. It will use far less data than the stock browser.

Sent from my Rooted Droid 3

spunker88

Reaction score
Stay away from videos and music on 3G, these will use up data fairly quickly. I keep all my music on the microSD card in the device. For internet, use Opera Mini, it compresses data on Opera's servers which means faster load times and lower data usage. Turn data saver on in settings, and if things get bad you could download the Data Enabler Widget which allows you to toggle 3G on and off just like wifi, etc:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler&hl=en

William_04_x

Reaction score
Today is the 30th day of my current 30 day billing cycle. VZW says I've used 1.975 GB this month. I don't DL movies or stream music, and go WiFi when I get home from work. I have unlimited, but have been watching my stats out of curiosity. 2 GB/month is easier to hit than I thought.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

acoers

Reaction score
Where do you turn data saver on in settings in opera

spunker88

Reaction score
Where do you turn data saver on in settings in opera

Opera Mini use's Opera's servers to compress data. Its sort of like proxy browsing as you'll have an Opera IP instead of a Verizon one. Opera Mobile by default is a regular browser, but the option to use Opera's servers can be enabled. I have Opera Mini for 3G browsing and Dolphin Browser HD for wifi browsing.

acoers

Reaction score
O ok I gotcha, yeah Im trying opera mini out now since I only got 2gb of data. I've notice it don't have adobe flash to, and no homepage.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Opera Mini use's Opera's servers to compress data. Its sort of like proxy browsing as you'll have an Opera IP instead of a Verizon one. Opera Mobile by default is a regular browser, but the option to use Opera's servers can be enabled. I have Opera Mini for 3G browsing and Dolphin Browser HD for wifi browsing.

This is a great tip!! I just installed Opera Mini and quickly browsed a few pages. In the "Data Usage" section of their menu it says I saved 85% on the data (Original Size = 4.2megs vs. Received Size = 667KB). Very impressive!!

Thanks for pointing this out!!!

Erikbal

Reaction score
Can I go to the market and just search opera mini and get this app? Do websites still appear the same as the stock browser? Any downfalls to using this? I use wifi whenever I'm home and hardly touch a gig a month of my data but I just like to keep it down as much as possible in case some month I've gotta use more than normal or something. Also there's a vzw data widget you can use that will help you keep an eye on your usuage.