How have you evolved as an android fan

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
evolution-of-android-5-years.jpg

From the time I bought my Droid 2 in late November of 2009, I have continued to evolve over the years. I went from the initial dislike because it did not do or have what my iPhone 3gs had, learning about root and being afraid of it, rooting and roming, believing every one should root to the point I use to root strangers device for them, hating iPhones, to finally at a point where I no longer see one device or operating system as having to be for all people. Though there are some products out there that I may not gravitate to I can understand why a person may see value in it. So over the holiday season I am more open to helping people in every way possible whether they own an iPhone, Android device, Nexus, fire tablet, or even a simple flip phone. What's for me may not be for someone else and vice verse.

How have you evolved over the years?

I've evolved similarly, though I still get defensive when an iPhone user refers to someone's galaxy phone as a droid phone while taking trash, when they don't actually know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I've evolved similarly, though I still get defensive when an iPhone user refers to someone's galaxy phone as a droid phone while taking trash, when they don't actually know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I felt the same way for a time but after a few years ago when android fans turned into android fanboy, weird because they hated iPhone fanboy for being that and yet they became the same. You are always going to have people that are just going to be that way. I have even seen android fanboys get to a point where it made me take a long look at myself. I mean all of us here have a little fanboyism (for tech) in us or we wouldn't be following this thread. But after the fanboyism when the Galaxy Nexus came out ,"those of you having signal issues are making it up or too stupid to understand signal strength". I was one who went through several galaxy nexus so I understood what people were talking about and I had one next to two other devices for days (thunderbolt and rezound) that not only had better signals but faster speeds as well. But man a person could not have a bad galaxy nexus and speak about it because that would seem like you were "anti-nexus". Funny how Google a year later admitted to the issue, denounced the Galaxy Nexus, and made a HSPA Nexus 4. Thankfully nexus phones have evolved to where it is one of the top phones of 2015.

But that period made me think about calming down even more as I just did not want to be that way. Whether you rock an iPhone (@bkdodger), Windows Phone (@cereal killer), or android is up to the user. They all have their pluses and minuses. And even though we make jokes about people we know with an iPhone, in reality many of us really don't care....at least I don't. I just have too much going on to worry about what a person is using to interact with the outside world.

We post the best phones of a given year and that is all opinion, as the best phone in 2015 is the phone you have in your hand right now. You made the ultimate decision and deemed said phone the champion when you swiped your card.

In the beginning I was into rooting and ROMs, from the original Droid to my galaxy s4. (I had a Incredible and a Galaxy Nexus between those two phones).

With my Verizon Note 5, it's left completely stock, not by choice, but I have to say that without root my experience hasn't been hindered much. Yes the ads are annoying, but it's far less annoying than I thought it would be.

Yeah. I think my Bionic or my Droid X were the last phones I rooted. I'm loving vanilla Android on my 6P, but feel no need to root it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I think it's great to have choices ...I've run through my share of phones as plenty of us here and we are definitely fanboys/gals of tech ..I can recommend some great choices in smartphones but in the end it depends on your needs and likes...and isn't that awesome ?

6s plus Tapatalk

I think it's great to have choices ...I've run through my share of phones as plenty of us here and we are definitely fanboys/gals of tech ..I can recommend some great choices in smartphones but in the end it depends on your needs and likes...and isn't that awesome ?

6s plus Tapatalk
Agreed! There are some people that I will recommend an idevice for because I know them well enough to know it'll suit their needs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Agreed! There are some people that I will recommend an idevice for because I know them well enough to know it'll suit their needs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Totally agree ...and this latest is solid ...there are plenty of good things about it ...same with Note 5 ...Nexus 6p ...I love my Nexus 6 ...it's a steal at 299 now ...if you don't care about size it hangs with big dogs ...but again all about taste individually ...

6s plus Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Exactly. I have 2 friends who can't figure out Android so I told them to get itoys.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I'm the same way.

The first question I'll ask a person that ask my opinion is what other device have they owned, example: if they own (or owned) an idevice (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) I'll suggest to them going to an iPhone (or iPad if they are looking for a tablet) so they are not having to buy apps twice). The other thing would be what size phone they prefer as of the time of this post Apple still makes a premium small phone where as with android there are few small phones that are premium. lastly: if they are not tech savy or this is their first smartphone (ie grandparents) ill recommend an idevice as well. But ultimately I suggest people take advantage of playing with it in stores and the 14 day policy. I went through several devices before settling on the Note 5 (BB priv, Note 5, Nexus 6P, and back to Note 5 and 3 of the 4 were bought at a local brick and mortar). If you buy from BB and return it in (I think 10-14 days) they wont charge a restocking fee....at least they didnt charge me for one.

Funny thing is some things are easier done on Android ...like menu settings and setting up a song as ringtone ...like using an app like Zedge ..

6s plus Tapatalk
I always assumed that's just because I'm so used to how Android does things. Any time I try to help someone with an idevice do something, I spend 3/4 of the time fumbling around looking for things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Funny thing is some things are easier done on Android ...like menu settings and setting up a song as ringtone ...like using an app like Zedge ..

6s plus Tapatalk

Yeah there were some things I found frustrating when setting up my grandmother's iPad mini or Mother's iPad. But that is because I am use to android now. Having been in the android ecosystem for 5 years a back button and menu is second nature.

We post the best phones of a given year and that is all opinion, as the best phone in 2015 is the phone you have in your hand right now. You made the ultimate decision and deemed said phone the champion when you swiped your card.

+1 to that. Couldn't agree more!

Back