How do you use Juice Defender to the fullest?

Reaction score
I downloaded Juice defender ultimate to try to maximize my battery. Since there are so many ways to set it up, what is the best for you?

Tonik

Reaction score
The best way is to not use it at all. It will stick more juice than it saves. That is my opinion, but hang loose you will get more.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There's also a possibility that it could cause connectivity issues.. it has happened with my bionic and one of my maxx's.

IMHO you should stick with the stock task manager.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
stingrayracing
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your opinions. However, so far I have to disagree with you. With the way I have Juice Defender set up now I have increased my battery life with the stock battery by about 30-40%. My phone is stock with no alterations. One thing I like about JD is that I can cut off data entirely when using an app that does not require it i.e. Kindle, games, etc. So far no connection issues. I also like being automatically switched between 3g/4g and Wifi when I am in Wifi range. I live in a weak signal area and the more the phone struggles to get signal the more battery is wasted. I think I will continue to use it for a while and compare battery life and possible phone issues. Has anyone else used JD with success??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used JD on my OG Droid and really didn't notice any difference. Since I had already paid for it, I put it on my Bionic. I think it's doing something as when I disabled it my battery life seemed to go down.

I just have it on the basic settings, with WiFi turned off as I don't have access to WiFi.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

dmisc

Reaction score
There's also a possibility that it could cause connectivity issues.. it has happened with my bionic and one of my maxx's.

IMHO you should stick with the stock task manager.

I had the paid version on my Razr. I did notice a little better battery life, but I did have the connection issues. Uninstalled it and I had no more connection issues. I used a few smart actions to help out with battery life. But now I have the MAXX, so battery life is no longer an issue.

Sent from my DROID MAXXIMUS using Tapatalk

josh1980

Reaction score
Juice Defender seems to work. How well depends on several things. Reading over the info on Juice Defender alot of the stuff JD appears to be settings built into ICS. I will admit that after installing JD and using the default "balanced" profile I did have occasional connection issues. In particular, because JD turns off wifi when you are not using your phone if you quickly unlock your phone and open the browser app you will have problems for the first 30 seconds or so while wifi connects. After that it's fine.

If you REALLY want more battery power, JD is a good option to try(heck... it's free!).

To the OP I recommend that you use the Balanced profile and customize it to your needs. Everyone's is different so trying to use someone else's profile might not be optimal for you.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I've used the free version of JD for quite a while. Messed with some custom settings, but overall find the balanced setting to work best. Using extended battery. Was 99% at 6:30 this morning, is now at 45% at 11:35pm. Have used Pandora & FB a good bit, took a handfull of photos, pretty pleased with that. I can live with the 15-30 second delay while the radios come up for 3g/4g and wireless. Can't beat the price.

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk2

Last edited:
OP
stingrayracing
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. For you Juice Defender nonbelievers, I am using the standard battery and after 17 hours I am at 60%.:icon_ banana: I have used Pandora for at least one hour as well as Facebook, internet, texts, email, weather, calls, etc. I had never gotten that much battery life before installing JD. I took a chance and bought (something I never do) the JD Ultimate and have it set at Advanced and tweaked all the settings. So far the connection lag is about 5-8 sec. and sometimes less which I can live with. I realize JD may not be for everyone but it sure seems to work for me with little or no adverse affects. I might add that I am using CDMA only since I am in a weak 4g LTE area. Now I want to see how JD does with the extended battery. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
As for connectivity, part of Juice Defender's job is to turn the radios on and off. This is why I have WiFi turned off manually. Juice Defender will turn it on every 15 minutes to see if there's a connection. I know there won't be as the only WiFi around is guarded with a password and I don't want to see a request to connect to something I can't. Other than that I haven't had the data drops like others have had with their Bionics. I do turn Juice Defender off if I'm using WiFi at the library to download a "Wifi download only" app as if it can turn WiFi off completely.

I'm going to disable Juice Defender for a week to see what the difference is. I have the Ultimate with the extended battery, use live wallpaper and live in a town with good 4G. I'm using the Bada$$ Battery Monitor (substitute 'ss' for '$$') to show the battery life change as it shows my average.

Last edited:
OP
stingrayracing
Reaction score
Update. After using my Bionic for Pandora, text, email, web, weather, calls, FB, etc for 31 hours on the standard battery I was at 11% before putting it back on charge. I never came close to this before Juice Defender Ultimate. Now I am going to try the extended battery to see how far that goes. So far I am sold on this app!

josh1980

Reaction score
Personally, i've gone 3 days on the extended battery withou recharging.

Anyway, while I appreciate you trying out JD and posting back your results, those that don't believe it will work and haven't tried won't be convinced it works and aren't open to the idea that it might work.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am definitely open to the idea that it may work. Keep giving us those results because I am interested.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its not that there are NON believers.. its that apps like juice defender have caused issues where people lost data connectivity and couldn't get it back. Thanx :)