How do you people go through so many Droids?!?!?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
okay this isnt the first time ive seen a thread "i went into the store today to get my 3rd droid" and kinda makes me think - are most people just careless with their phones or did I just get lucky and get one that didnt have any problems with it???

Ive had mine since the middle of November and its still running strong. many different roms and been overclocked most of the time. Now i dont have insurance on my phone (which most people who keep getting new ones probably do) but isnt there some kind of deductible?

So really - who in here is just careless with their super-expensive piece of technology and who in here just has had bad luck with getting one that have worked right (supposedly)

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I've often wondered as well. I've had mine since March.

JCo352

Reaction score
On my first one and goin' strong, since December.

warrior21

Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky because both mine and my wifes have no real issues.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
February here.

I guess it's possible that you can get two defective phones in a row.... I dont know.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i dont know if its like people think just because they have the insurance that "o hey you wanna see my droid? let me toss it 20 feet to you" comes into play.

I know its insurance for a reason, but i could imagine a few people are abusing it

Reaction score
i got my first on on release day, earpiece died in dec so i got it replaced and had this one ever since

And yes verizons insurance is a $50 deductible and you get a refurbished phone

I used best buys, its like 2 more dollars a month but no deductible and i get a new phone when this one breaks. And they really don't ask questions when your phone is broken

dwagner88

Reaction score
Had mine since December, been constantly overclocked to at least 800mhz since the end of January. Not a single problem, only one small scratch on the frame, and I get pretty decent battery life to boot.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea i think most people are just careless. Or they dont know how to trouble shoot themselves. So when they cant figure out how to change their wallpaper they assume their phone is broken and will explode at any moment.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I've had my droid since December, and it's still working like a charm. I've also had the same screen protector hehe. It should last me until december this year when i have my upgrade

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope you weren't referring to me, as I am extremely careful with my phones. :p

haha no it was no one i was reading old threads and saw like 3 in a row of people who were on their 13th phone.

Yea i think most people are just careless. Or they dont know how to trouble shoot themselves. So when they cant figure out how to change their wallpaper they assume their phone is broken and will explode at any moment.

yea kinda disappointing how people buy such an advanced piece of technology and dont know how to use it

Travis798

Reaction score
I think a lot of it is just bad luck. If something does happen to go wrong with your first one any the phones have been out very long at all, you're getting a refurb. It's been my experience that when getting a refurb, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Granted the only refurbs I've ever had to get was on an old LG VX8600, but I went through 3 refurbs and every one of them had something wrong with it when I got it. I then moved on to a Krzr and was happy. Now if something had been wrong with the Krzr, I may have went through refurb hell again.

chuckz28

Reaction score
It is disappointing to hear that the refurbs are not that good in quality that people need to go through so many. This is why I'm torn. I have a launch day Droid and my 3.5 mm jack is faulty to where it crackles if I move my wire or bump it. It makes playing mp3s a drag. The refurb quality is the reason I have not exchanged it. I am worried about getting something even worse then getting into a refurb loop. I just dealt with refurb replacements on my wives Blackberry Storm after her origional died. Sucks to be in this position.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i got my first on on release day, earpiece died in dec so i got it replaced and had this one ever since

And yes verizons insurance is a $50 deductible and you get a refurbished phone

I used best buys, its like 2 more dollars a month but no deductible and i get a new phone when this one breaks. And they really don't ask questions when your phone is broken
Verizon's insurance is called Asurion. For an advanced device like a Droid phone, it costs $90 for the replacement phone, not $50.

Yes Best Buy has their own insurance, and yes you can get it replaced no questions asked if it's broken, but one MAJOR difference is if my Moto Droid gets wet, it's covered. If your's gets wet, guess what, you're out of luck with the Best Buy insurance.

I am on my 3rd Droid. Mostly overheating issues. I am not advocating anything, but there is something at VZW called "multi-fru" - if you've had your phone REPLACED twice in 90 days, you're eligible for a "FRU to NEW". It would have some implications, for example, you would reset your New Every Two eligibility on that line, you would be limited to whatever phone is listed in the guide that the rep has, and you'd be paying the 2 year pricing on that new device. For a Moto Droid like I have, if I went the "FRU to New" route, more than likely it would be listed in the books that the "New" would be another Moto Droid.

Last edited: