I think Moto is lowballing how many people mod their phones...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
as more units are sold that 2% becomes lower and lower. if Google's numbers are accurate and 4 million+ units are being sold a month, 2% of that is 80,000, which is definitely possible, but I'm positive the number of rooters is not rising exponentially as the number of units sold are

Good point. Also, most rooters would be early adopters, so less and less future purchasers would be rooting. That said, the number of rooters early on probably made up a more significant share but still a small minority.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no chance 40k downloaded BB in a week. Where did you pull that number from???

true or not, it is an insignificant number overall and further proves the point that we are not any big part of the android community...i'm not impressed by 40 thousand in one week, when units are being sold at the rate of 160,000/day.

agreed, I have always thought and said the rooted community makes up less than 1% of the smartphone community and that number may be the same for just android phones as well. I would be absoutely shocked if us rooted users were anymore than 1-2% of all android phones.

precisely. the growth of android sales is ridiculous (projection of 58M/year???)...no chance that even 1% of those (580,000 people) are/will be modding their phones. common sense would tell anyone this haha

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
as more units are sold that 2% becomes lower and lower. if Google's numbers are accurate and 4 million+ units are being sold a month, 2% of that is 80,000, which is definitely possible, but I'm positive the number of rooters is not rising exponentially as the number of units sold are

Good point. Also, most rooters would be early adopters, so less and less future purchasers would be rooting. That said, the number of rooters early on probably made up a more significant share but still a small minority.

right again, the people who rooted the droid 1, and then purchase a phone later down the line and try to mod that are not new users. it's still the same amount of people who have been rooting phones, with very few "new" hackers jumping on for the ride. most of the people who are going to root/have rooted are already using android devices. we're not going to get a sudden influx of a half million modders when the next phone is released.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
true or not, it is an insignificant number overall and further proves the point that we are not any big part of the android community...i'm not impressed by 40 thousand in one week, when units are being sold at the rate of 160,000/day.

agreed, I have always thought and said the rooted community makes up less than 1% of the smartphone community and that number may be the same for just android phones as well. I would be absoutely shocked if us rooted users were anymore than 1-2% of all android phones.

precisely. the growth of android sales is ridiculous (projection of 58M/year???)...no chance that even 1% of those (580,000 people) are/will modding their phones. common sense would tell anyone this haha

This is also why 99% of people don't view the iphone in the same light as rooted users. Though the newest reception flaw could change that! But people always claim well apple isn't open source when the vast and I mean hugely vast majority could not care less about that. The iPhone will always sell well because it's marketed well and people like simplicity. I know a lot of people hate on that and that's fine but they are a selling machine. I think the newest numbers showing how many android phones are being sold are extremely encouraging because like stated before 99% of those people are buying android without rooting their phones. I don't want to see the downfall of the iPhone or anything like that but it's great to see our phones picking up very respectable market share.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
dont know if this was said but setcpu is free (or was) at the xda forums if your a member i didnt find that out till after i bought it so all the people that started with a g1 probably already knew about that