How do you close all apps? Is there a task manager?

New Daddy

Reaction score
I've been with my Droid 4 for about a week, but it has slowed down for some reason.
I'm suspecting that it's due to all those open apps, which I don't know how to close.
How do you close all apps? Is there task manager?
I come from the Windows Mobile world, and, as archaic as the OS was, it was very easy to bring up the task manager, just like in the Desktop Windows OS, and close any or all apps to reclaim memory and speed.
I'm sure Android has something similar or probably something better.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Keeping apps in RAM doesn't slow down android because of the way it manages processes, apps, and memory. Could you be more specific about how your d4 is slowing down?

For the record, you should NOT use a task killer in android, because they actually slow the the device down and cause more battery drain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
Keeping apps in RAM doesn't slow down android because of the way it manages processes, apps, and memory. Could you be more specific about how your d4 is slowing down?

For the record, you should NOT use a task killer in android, because they actually slow the the device down and cause more battery drain.

Two major symptoms:

1. The home button (both click and long pressing) is not as responsive as before. There is a lag before the screen changes to the home screen.
2. The pattern lock acts strangely. The pattern doesn't move as I direct it and offshoots all over the places. I had abandon the pattern lock and use the number lock instead because of the erratic behavior.

As far as the speed of actual apps running, I'm not sure. Maybe it hasn't slowed down. But the two symptoms that I described above, they bring back the nightmares of memory-stretched WM smartphone.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Hmm... are you using any apps that have a persistent icon in the notification bar? Also, if an app is using processor cycles, one could presume that its also using battery. Home screen>menu>settings>battery&data manager>touch to see useage
Do you see any apps that you wouldn't expect to be there??

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
Hmm... are you using any apps that have a persistent icon in the notification bar? Also, if an app is using processor cycles, one could presume that its also using battery. Home screen>menu>settings>battery&data manager>touch to see useage
Do you see any apps that you wouldn't expect to be there??

I have a couple of persistent icons in the notification area: the weather, RSS reader, and smart action.

When I go to Home screen>menu>settings> battery info > Battery Use, I see a bunch of apps using battery. Some of these apps don't have their icons in the notification area - e.g., gmail or Slacker (music streaming). Do I need to force-stop these apps if I don't want them to be draining battery and CPU time?