How do I use DLNA server?

RockyRR

Reaction score
When I take a picture or video I use email to get them from phone to my PC. I'd like to use DLNA server option to do this. For example, when I go to Gallery App and click DLNA server I get an error message that browsing failed. I've tried to set this up at home but with no success. Can anyone point me to instructions or provide other help.

Thanks,
Rocky

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I've never been able to get dlna to work correctly. Is there something preventing you from just using your usb cable to copy and paste the files?? I just use "ES file explorer" from the market and copy the files from my phone's SD card and paste them on the computer's shared harddrive. I just use a regular windows 7 shared folder (right click>share with>advanced sharing etc.) Even quicker and easier than that, though, is just transferring them over a usb cable!
Using email is a pretty silly and roundabout way of getting files from your phone to your computer, thanks for the good laugh!

OP
R

RockyRR

Reaction score
I've never been able to get dlna to work correctly. Is there something preventing you from just using your usb cable to copy and paste the files?? I just use "ES file explorer" from the market and copy the files from my phone's SD card and paste them on the computer's shared harddrive. I just use a regular windows 7 shared folder (right click>share with>advanced sharing etc.) Even quicker and easier than that, though, is just transferring them over a usb cable!
Using email is a pretty silly and roundabout way of getting files from your phone to your computer, thanks for the good laugh!

It would be nice to get a feature/function, such as DLNA, to work "as advertised". I'm sure your USB cable procedure is workable when you're within a few feet from your PC. However, I'd like to use the DLNA feature when I'm away from home. Maybe your USB cable is several miles long, I hadn't thought of that. :biggrin:

Thanks for your response.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Ah I see, you didn't mention that before! Dlna is only designed to work on a LAN, not over the internet. For remote access to your files (both up and downloading), the bionic comes with an app called zumocast that, from what I've read, works fairly well. You'll need to install the zumocast program on your home computer, too.
For mine, I just turned my computer into an FTP server and tied it to a domain name I got for free, so I can get on any computer in the world and type in my website name to get access to upload or download anything to/from my home computer.
However, for merely backing up pictures and videos, I recommend Google Plus. It automatically uploads any pictures and videos you take to your password-protected G+ account, which will then be accessable from any computer. If you later want to have copies of the pics on your home computer as well, you can just download them from G+.

Hope I helped!

P.S. wouldn't you be unable to move the pictures from email to your home computer until you got home anyway? In which case you'd be in prime USB distance! Plus a USB transfer is quicker than sending/downloading from an email and doesn't use any 4g!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
R

RockyRR

Reaction score
Ah I see, you didn't mention that before! Dlna is only designed to work on a LAN, not over the internet. For remote access to your files (both up and downloading), the bionic comes with an app called zumocast that, from what I've read, works fairly well. You'll need to install the zumocast program on your home computer, too.
For mine, I just turned my computer into an FTP server and tied it to a domain name I got for free, so I can get on any computer in the world and type in my website name to get access to upload or download anything to/from my home computer.
However, for merely backing up pictures and videos, I recommend Google Plus. It automatically uploads any pictures and videos you take to your password-protected G+ account, which will then be accessable from any computer. If you later want to have copies of the pics on your home computer as well, you can just download them from G+.

Hope I helped!

P.S. wouldn't you be unable to move the pictures from email to your home computer until you got home anyway? In which case you'd be in prime USB distance! Plus a USB transfer is quicker than sending/downloading from an email and doesn't use any 4g!

I can download files via WiFi (e.g. play music) from my PC to my Bionic using DLNA, just can't upload using DLNA. I do have Zumcast on my Bionic and installed on my PC. It works fine for downloading over WiFi no matter where I am as long as I can get access to WiFi. I don't see anything on Zumocast that provides for uploading to a PC. Am I missing something?

I haven't tried using a USB cable, as you may have guessed. Is there anything I should know/do after connecting the cable? E.g., does it automatically show SD card files on cell?

GeLopez

Reaction score
try imediashare its a dlna app that will connect to other devices. i think that is what you are looking for. good luck

Tonik

Reaction score
Take a look at zumocast. I have not used it but have heard good things about it for what you are trying to do.

OP
R

RockyRR

Reaction score
Take a look at zumocast. I have not used it but have heard good things about it for what you are trying to do.

I use Zumocast for download from my PC, but I don't see where I can use it to upload to PC. Thanks

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Is there anything I should know/do after connecting the cable? E.g., does it automatically show SD card files on cell?

It'll give you a notification that you connected via usb and give you options for how to connect, like "charge only" or "USB mass storage mode", you want to use the latter. It'll act just like a flash drive or digital camera from the computer's perspective. Pictures and videos are usually in a folder called "dcim".

OP
R

RockyRR

Reaction score
It'll give you a notification that you connected via usb and give you options for how to connect, like "charge only" or "USB mass storage mode", you want to use the latter. It'll act just like a flash drive or digital camera from the computer's perspective. Pictures and videos are usually in a folder called "dcim".

Thanks!

Suuperflie

Reaction score
You need software on your computer to make it look for a dlna server. If you have a newer Tv that had dlna, try connecting to it. I connect my bionic to my TV with dlna to view videos and pics I've taken, and also to stream music to myTV from my phone. It works like it should.

OP
R

RockyRR

Reaction score
You need software on your computer to make it look for a dlna server. If you have a newer Tv that had dlna, try connecting to it. I connect my bionic to my TV with dlna to view videos and pics I've taken, and also to stream music to myTV from my phone. It works like it should.

Thanks, but I'm looking to upload files from my Bionic to my PC. I can download, but not upload.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking to upload files from my Bionic to my PC. I can download, but not upload.

Like I said, you need software on your PC to pick up the dlna server signal so it can connect.

bakos25

Reaction score
Airdroid. Great for transfering pictures!