How do I save a Google Navigation Address?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
EDIT: The best alternative is to long press a blank area on your home screen and select "Shortcuts" and then select "Directions". You can then enter an address which will appear as a shortcut on your home screen.

You can also long press an empty space on the home screen and create a folder to place all your contacts inside it. After you open the folder, click the title at the top that says "Folder" and it will give you an option to rename the folder to something like "Addresses".

To add a folder, long press an empty space on the home screen and select "Folders", then select "New folder". You can drag and drop an address shortcut inside the folder by long pressing the shortcut, then dragging it over the folder and releasing your finger.

In VZ Navigator you could build a list of addresses to places you want to visit. I have had a hard time trying to find out if we can do that with Google Navigation.

I have noticed that you can attach addresses to contacts (or manually add an address to a contact) and use this to save addresses to friend's homes.

However, What if I want to bookmark like say, a theme park im going on for vacation soon? Sure, we could create a contact for that, but I don't want everything cluttering up my contact list just so I can have an address saved for it.

Last edited:

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alas, the only solution I have found is to add it as a contact. A Favorite or Bookmarks type feature would be nice. Hopefully it will be here soon

crspang

Reaction score
The navigation has a history kinda like a browser. If enter it once it'll be in the history. In the destination field just click in it and the history will display, scroll and select.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
The navigation has a history kinda like a browser. If enter it once it'll be in the history. In the destination field just click in it and the history will display, scroll and select.

I noticed that as well, but it doesn't seem like a reliable solution. What if the history is cleared? Also it could get increasing hard to find anything that way once your history fills up with many addresses.

I just don't feel safe believing the history entry is always going to be there when I need it.

allikanbe

Reaction score
In VZ Navigator you could build a list of addresses to places you want to visit. I have had a hard time trying to find out if we can do that with Google Navigation.

I have noticed that you can attach addresses to contacts (or manually add an address to a contact) and use this to save addresses to friend's homes.

However, What if I want to bookmark like say, a theme park im going on for vacation soon? Sure, we could create a contact for that, but I don't want everything cluttering up my contact list just so I can have an address saved for it.

Long press on screen, shortcuts, directions, enter address, save. I put them in a folder on the screen and can choose one whenever i want. I made one for my Home also. Too easy.

droiddict

Reaction score
If you add your sites to My Maps in Google Maps online, they will show up under Menu-->Layers-->More Layers-->My Maps

Does seem like they could use a bookmark function in the app though.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Thanks allikanbe and droiddict,

You guys offered some reasonable alternatives. Indeed, setting a folder and adding address shortcuts is a decent way to do this.

Honestly, that is pretty easy, but you have to admit it isn't that obvious to figure out. You would think keeping a record of addresses would be an interface option inside the app where its actually used, such as Google Navigation. Thats the problem with Android. It is not always practical where they have the options/features located, or how they are accessed.
If you found something via a search in Google Navigation, you would have to remember or copy the address and exit out to the home screen to add the shortcut for it.

Before you said this, I never messed much with the shortcut option at all.

It is odd that we can view "My Maps" but not add addresses to it from the app. That does limit its usefulness since there really is no reason to use the PC version at all, everything else I need is done straight from the app.

Last edited:

mikes

Reaction score
It is odd that we can view "My Maps" but not add addresses to it from the app. That does limit its usefulness since there really is no reason to use the PC version at all, everything else I need is done straight from the app.
Get "My Maps Editor by Google" from the market. It will let you add addresses to your maps, which can then be accessed from the Map app by using layers.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Google Address Book

chart

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-webcipe-searchablemapaddressbook-pmxz.aspx

crspang

Reaction score

I noticed that as well, but it doesn't seem like a reliable solution. What if the history is cleared? Also it could get increasing hard to find anything that way once your history fills up with many addresses.

I just don't feel safe believing the history entry is always going to be there when I need it.

You're right of course. But I was just suggesting something temporary since you mentioned locating a theme park for vaca purposes. I just assumed something like that wouldn't need a permanent storage solution.

You're also right about the process of storing an address not being quite as intuitive as it should be. I have been using My Maps Editor because I'll have to admit I didn't know about adding an address to the homescreen/folders.

Thanks for posting this thread, because I certainly learned something new!

rjax

Reaction score
Check out the Nav Launcher app -- it does pretty much exactly what you want.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

You're right of course. But I was just suggesting something temporary since you mentioned locating a theme park for vaca purposes. I just assumed something like that wouldn't need a permanent storage solution.

You're also right about the process of storing an address not being quite as intuitive as it should be. I have been using My Maps Editor because I'll have to admit I didn't know about adding an address to the homescreen/folders.

Thanks for posting this thread, because I certainly learned something new!

It's all good man. I appreciate your suggestions. :)

MichelleDroidX

Reaction score
"my maps editor by google" need review

[/quote]Get "My Maps Editor by Google" from the market. It will let you add addresses to your maps, which can then be accessed from the Map app by using layers.[/QUOTE]

I went to the marketplace to download "My Maps Editor by Google" and the reviews were awful. 90% of people gave it one star, with a common complaint being that it spontaneously shut down the app.

Is this a universal problem with this app? Does it work on the Droid X?

If not, and I decide to make a contacts folder, is there a way to get more room on the phone for additional folders? I'm pretty much at my limit already.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If not, and I decide to make a contacts folder, is there a way to get more room on the phone for additional folders? I'm pretty much at my limit already.

What do you mean at your limit?