Contacts Groups workaround...

Ghoelix

Reaction score
I love the Droid so far but don't like how contacts are listed as one long list and going through settings each time I want to change groups is annoying to me. I have a kind of workaround that's not very elegant but does what I want.

Find some empty space on one of the home screens. Long press and select "Add to Home screen". Select "Folders". Select "New Folder". Open your new folder by pressing the folder icon. Long press the open folder's title bar. Give it a name, like "Work contacts". Then you're back at the home screen again. Long press on an empty spot again and under "Add to Home screen" select "Shortcuts". Then select "Contact". Select the contact you want from the contact list it brings up. You're back at the home screen again. Long press on the contact you just added there and then drag it onto the folder you created earlier. You've got a group folder with the contacts you want in it.

Again, not an ideal solution but it works ok if you don't like the Droid's current system or any of the contact managers available right now.

Ghoelix.

mcapehart

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for this info. As you said, kind of a pain to set up, but does the job. I recently switched from the Droid Eris to the Moto Droid. The HTC Contacts had a "Groups" tab in the Contacts (or as they call it "People") and I was disappointed to see that the native Contacts on the Droid didn't have the same or similar.

Thanks again.

BlkAKonda

Reaction score
Clix - Group Manager v1.2 Application for Android | Social

do u have the apk file?

sethm1

Reaction score
Help with Clix - Any idea how to remove duplicate records & groups ?

Thx

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know it's not exactly the topic of this thread but has anyone run across something similar for support of Categories with Exchange account contacts synched with the Droid's native contacts?

selcofab

Reaction score
Multiple Gmail acounts - Contacts

This solution is a little involved, but after using it a couple of times it gets easier
I have two (2) Gmail accounts on my Droid. 1-personal contacts and 1-work contacts. By default, all the contacts from both accounts are displayed in the Droid Contact list.
You can filter the Droid Contact list between the 2 accounts as follows.
While in Contacts, go to Menu, go to Display Options,
There you should see a title bar "Choose contacts to display"
Tap the 1st account, it will drop down a list of groups, by default there is a green check mark itn the "System Group: My Contacts" box - if you un-check this box and tap "Done" you'll be returned to your Droid Contacts where only the contacts from the 2nd Gmail account are displayed.
Repeat this operation by re-checking the box in the 1st account and unchecking the same box in the 2nd account. tap "Done" you'll be returned to your Droid Contacts and only the contacts from the 1st Gmail account are displayed.
Good luck,
It gets Easier !

ronsonntag

Reaction score
Grouping

The display option works well for filtering Google groups, but, if you create a new contact while in that filtered view, there is no way to add the new contact to any group. You create it, and it disappears!