How do I help my 60 year old mom learn how to use the Droid?

MrTommy

Reaction score
Uh, can I assume from one of the above posts that when I pick up my Droid they can 'port' over my current phone numbers from my LGnv2? That would be much too easy.

Of course, I guess there's no telling in what form it would show up, and I'm probably better off manually adding them so I can sort them out (and dump that ones that should have been dumped long ago but I've been too lazy to do...).

Oh, and I'm a tad shy of 64 - and can't wait to wade into this new 'machine'. It'll be my first smart phone. Thank goodness I stumbled on this site!!!:icon_ banana:

Added later...
Does this mean I won't be able to use my Yahoo mail account? I don't care about being notified everytime I get an email. I just want to access the account so I can send emails (and check the inbound from time to time). I signed up for a Google mail account, but I don't want to have two separate email accounts (if I can help it).

Last edited:

Taina51

Reaction score
You can keep your Yahoo email and check it using the Web browser. I have an AOL account that I check this way. I also use Micrsoft Exchange to sync with my work email.

TOPCAT

Reaction score
i would say to definitely get the rotary phone app dialer asap
Comments like this just show how sexist and ageist this forum is. You BOYS just don't get it, do you? You think a 60 year old woman isn't capable of handling a device like the Droid. This woman chose the phone for herself and is looking for help that is not outside what 50% of the MEN on this forum probably need. sigh....

Well said, I am a male who does a lot of training on software applications for all age groups. I would say attitude is the biggest determinant of who gets it. Give me a 60 year old mom any day to train and I will bet she will get it. They actually read the users manuals. If I were to break it by age, and make a generalization,(a bad idea) the ones who usually get it down are those over 50. They may take a little longer initially but they will stay with it. The worst are those in their 20s. Take them outside something they are familiar with and they really have a tough time retaining it or staying with it. Exceptions abound.

biteme

Reaction score
Hmmm...Best Buy ported over all my contacts and info from my Katana to my Droid. Wonder why big V couldn't do it?

vonfink13

Reaction score
sometimes you have to push those guys around a little bit...the guys at the vzw store told me he could not get my pics from one phone to the other and i told him that he could...we went back and forth for a few minutes and he checked some little computer thing in the back and then said he could do it...5 mins later all my pics were transferred....for something like that i would ask for a manager if the initial salesperson said no...

vaisforlovers

Reaction score
Geez I am 62.....

Sorry have to reply to this. I am 62 and just wondering why he put an age with his mom? You have probably gotten enough grief for this one so I won't add to it. Just that you will be 62 one day and look back on this and maybe wonder what in the world was I thinking:r_c:.
Joanne

Mojo

Reaction score
Contacts, pics, ringtones, etc... can all be transferred quite easily with a cell bright machine. And cell brights are in every vzw location! Sounds like you had a lazy or stupid Rep!

Now back on topic... I have several upper age customers that have bought the Droid, and they typically have less questions about using the device then some of the younger crowed that buys them. Hope your mom finds her way to this forum.

OP
L

lockcity

Reaction score
Sorry have to reply to this. I am 62 and just wondering why he put an age with his mom? You have probably gotten enough grief for this one so I won't add to it. Just that you will be 62 one day and look back on this and maybe wonder what in the world was I thinking:r_c:.
Joanne

Sorry I wasn't trying to come across as ageist or whatever. Just that my mom isn't that technology savvy. For the longest while she's used this old LG flip phone until she got the Droid last week. Going from something so simple to the Droid has her head spinning.

I've already told her to check out the forums when she's done reading and going through the users manual.

And thanks again to all the replies so far in this thread!

Trever1t

Reaction score
All Yahoo contacts can be imported directly into Gmail through the Gmail settings. Just throwing that out there ;)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Joanne

+1 I'm 57 and I was wondering the same thing when I saw the title.