How do I help my 60 year old mom learn how to use the Droid?

lockcity

Reaction score
Hi. So my mother just purchased the new Droid. I plan on buying mine this week :icon_ banana:, but as of now she has no idea how to use the phone and I live across the country so I can't exactly go over there and help her out.

Are there any threads here I can link her to to point her in the right direction? Or if there are youtube videos, that would be even better. I tried searching but couldn't come up with much.

For now she just needs quick explanations on how to navigate through her contacts, add new contacts, make calls and get on the net.

Once I get my droid, I'll be able to explain a lot of stuff to her but if there is any info to help her get started that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

OP
L

lockcity

Reaction score
Not sure...she liked the droid from what she saw and just bought it. Thanks for the link to the users guide. She said there wasn't one in the box.

Mateles

Reaction score
Does she already have a Gmail account? I organized all of my contacts there before I got my phone. It's probably easier to manage them here as well if she needs to go through a bunch. Import / Export contacts...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
after she reads the user guide she needs to sign up here : )

MommaLock will be her handle..

RLJSlick

Reaction score
Well said, you bring her in here and we will educate her on the uses of the Droid. :)

OP
L

lockcity

Reaction score
Does she already have a Gmail account? I organized all of my contacts there before I got my phone. It's probably easier to manage them here as well if she needs to go through a bunch. Import / Export contacts...

I just made a gmail account for her. Unfortunatly she's always been a yahoo e-mail user but never had anything besides e-mail addresses saved there. she apparently went to the verizon store and asked if they could transfer numbers from her old phone to the droid but they can't yet. so she has started manually putting them into her gmail contacts.

Mateles

Reaction score

I just made a gmail account for her. Unfortunatly she's always been a yahoo e-mail user but never had anything besides e-mail addresses saved there. she apparently went to the verizon store and asked if they could transfer numbers from her old phone to the droid but they can't yet. so she has started manually putting them into her gmail contacts.
I later found out I didn't need it since I was able to get my contacts off my old phone via USB in .csv format, but you might want to look into this before she takes the time to copy all of her contacts.

Verizon Contacts Exporter | AlanHogan.com

droiddict

Reaction score
i would say to definitely get the rotary phone app dialer asap
Comments like this just show how sexist and ageist this forum is. You BOYS just don't get it, do you? You think a 60 year old woman isn't capable of handling a device like the Droid. This woman chose the phone for herself and is looking for help that is not outside what 50% of the MEN on this forum probably need. sigh....

kastj

Reaction score
i would say to definitely get the rotary phone app dialer asap
Comments like this just show how sexist and ageist this forum is. You BOYS just don't get it, do you? You think a 60 year old woman isn't capable of handling a device like the Droid. This woman chose the phone for herself and is looking for help that is not outside what 50% of the MEN on this forum probably need. sigh....

Ageist? Perhaps, but how do you get sexist from that comment?

Taina51

Reaction score
I'm almost 60 and both, my 21 year old son and my husband come to me for tech support. People are either technical or not. Gender and age have little to do with it.
The first thing I did when I got my Droid was to read the manual and join the Forum. The rest is trial and error...that's when the fun starts. I LOVE my Droid!

Taina51

Reaction score
I just remember that the last time I was at a Verizon store I saw a sign about Workshops on how to use the Droid. Your mom might want to ask a store rep. about workshops in her area.