How do I check memory?

cadre.9

Reaction score
My phone has gotten awfully slow lately. It takes forever for apps to load and some websites never do load. I can't figure out how to check the memory on this device or what to do if this is a memory issue. I'd appreciate some advice.

cadre

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm really confused. I went to vzw support and searched "check memory" for the DX and saw instructions for checking storage space. Am I wrong when I assume that, like a PC, hard drive storage is different from RAM (page file notwithstanding) on a smartphone, or are they the same? And if they're the same why is my phone slower with 4gb remaining on my 16gb card than when I had 400mb left on my 2gb card?

:frown::frown:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are not the same. Storage is different than RAM.
Are you rooted or on just a plain old stock phone?
Are you using a task killer? If so, don't.
There is a great app called fast reboot that restarts all running services and frees up a bunch of ram.
You can go to settings/running services to see what's taking up processor speed. There are also apps that do this (possibly better).
Your best bet is to root and get on a custom rom that will speed up the phone (at the very least, freeze up some bloatware)
Another option is to do a factory reset (you'll lose your data tho, especially if you're not rooted)

CM74D2 (build-43)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To check your RAM goto settings: applications: running services and at the bottom it shows used memory and free memory.

A factory reset is extreme for just a slow phone. A reboot wipes cache anyways. Check running services to see if there's something running that shouldn't be.

end of line...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I forget that people have different ideas of extreme. I wipe data once a week, but I'm flashing all the time.
I did mention to check running services, but I assumed he's already tried a reboot.

Hope he finds the fix he's looking for!

CM74D2

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Idopa, I'm on a plain old stock phone. I've had it less than six months and while I've been reading a bit about rooting here I don't think I'm ready for that just yet.

jstafford1, thanks for guiding me to the location to check the RAM. It showed 330 used and 40 free so I rebooted (no, shamefully I didn't think of that before). Now I'm at 210/197. Much better.

cadre

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No worries Idopa.

And yes with Android phones a reboot once a week or so is a good idea as it wipes cache and frees up some memory.

end of line...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! I reboot once a day, but only because I tweak systcl settings and need to clear various caches daily. I was using imoseyon which did it automatically, but found that I like the v6 supercharger/systcl combo. Yes, I turned into a geeker
:)

Glad the reboot helped out though cadre! All the best.

CM74D2 (v6 supercharged)