How do I change Gmail addresses?

Excitable Boy

Reaction score
When I got my original Droid, I created a Gmail account with my employer's name in it as the device was to be used mostly for work. Now I find myself changing jobs and wanting to ditch that email address and use one that's more personal. It looks like I have to create a whole new Gmail account and do a hard reset. Is that correct? I'm thinking that if I do that I'm going to lose all my paid apps :( Is that my only option, or have I missed something?

Help!

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
When I got my original Droid, I created a Gmail account with my employer's name in it as the device was to be used mostly for work. Now I find myself changing jobs and wanting to ditch that email address and use one that's more personal. It looks like I have to create a whole new Gmail account and do a hard reset. Is that correct? I'm thinking that if I do that I'm going to lose all my paid apps :( Is that my only option, or have I missed something?

Help!

Paid apps will not be lost, Google keeps track of all of them for you. You may only have to download them (if it doesn't do it automatically). Free apps are the ones you want to make a list of a re-download.

Make sure you go into settings/privacy and check the option that backs up all your info and maybe the automatic restore option too.
From a D2.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are changing gmail addresses then you will in fact lose your paid applications as they are tied into your gmail account :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are changing gmail addresses then you will in fact lose your paid applications as they are tied into your gmail account :(

tp is correct, they are tied directly to you gmail account. You will indeed lose them.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Dang, that's right.......its all tied to the actual email address. I was only thinking about the factory reset and not the change in email.

My apologies.

From a D2.