Google/Gmail Talk Issue

Godest

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My wife and I just renewed our Verizon Wireless contract, and we just received our Droid 2s which we absolutely love. We both had Blackberries before which had so many damn problems from day one, but this is fantastic!

After setting up my email accounts, I set up the Gmail Talk application. I want it to use my Arizona State University Gmail account rather than my personal Gmail account, yet I cannot figure out how to do so. Even though I hit "Sign Out," every time I open the app it logs into my personal Gmail account. I checked to see if "Automatically Sign In" was enabled, but it wasn't. I only have 2 Gmail accounts setup on my phone, the regular @gmail.com and my @asu.edu which is my university Gmail account.

I tried to clear the data/cache for the Talk app to see if it would do anything, but it did nothing. I also tried to setup a 3rd Gmail account to see if the problem was with the @asu.edu Gmail account, yet I still don't have the option to switch to a different account with the Talk app. Lastly, I tried to remove the Gmail account that was using the Talk app, but it wouldn't let me remove it as it says "a certain app requires the Gmail account in order to run" and that if I wanted to remove the Gmail account from my phone, I would have to do a full restore/recovery or whatever.

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I certainly am one as this is my first experience using a Droid phone. I also apologize if this is in the wrong section :heart:

Any suggestions would be great.

Game4set

Reaction score
The problem with the Google Talk application is that it logs you in using the main gmail account that you logged in with when you first activated your phone. You can try getting another application such as ebuddy or fring to log into your other gmail account from there or you can factory reset your phone (deleting all apps, settings in the process) and activating your phone using the other account.

OP
G

Godest

Reaction score
The problem with the Google Talk application is that it logs you in using the main gmail account that you logged in with when you first activated your phone. You can try getting another application such as ebuddy or fring to log into your other gmail account from there or you can factory reset your phone (deleting all apps, settings in the process) and activating your phone using the other account.

Lame. Oh well I guess I will just have to suck it up.

Thanks for the help and quick response, I really appreciate it!

ridie1389

Reaction score
A possible fix would be to uninstall Google Talk, then remove that Gmail account, then reinstall Google Talk.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
G

Godest

Reaction score
A possible fix would be to uninstall Google Talk, then remove that Gmail account, then reinstall Google Talk.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Yeah I tried that at first, but it won't allow me to remove Google Talk from the application settings.