How come Droids don't have a backup service like iCloud?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Well... pretty much all your important settings are backed up with your Gmail account. I'm not sure what iCloud backs up exactly but I'm sure Android does have a service that will back up whatever you need. What specifically are you wanting to backup?

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

OP
A

apex2001

Reaction score
I wanted to back up my home screen configuration and the other screens. I had to do a factory reset lately and My Backup Pro didn't work as well as i hoped it would. It didn't backup all the apps or the home screens. The app reinstallation wasn't very streamlined either. I had reinstall each one manually from the list in My Backup Pro.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Maybe once Google Drive is in gear (pun intended) there will be a better way to backup.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Titanium backup Pro will do just that, sync your backup to Dropbox too, but you need root access.

OP
A

apex2001

Reaction score
Yeah i've heard good things about Titanium Backup but is it worth it to root my phone? I don't even know how to root my phone. I heard there is risk of making the phone into a brick if it's rooted. Also, will Titanium work for recovering phone system on a new phone? Can it do an image back up?

schatzy62

Reaction score
Let me tell you as an IT manager the sales people that have iPhones and iPads etc have made my life HELL with this iCloud thing. It DOES NOT work as advertised and is very very tempermental. And some of the things you are asking to back up are not backed up by iCloud. Even though iCloud documentation states it backs up device settings i have not been able to get it to work properly. I loose some random setting every time i try to restore a phone.

About the only thing that seems to work well is the photo part where you can get the photos on any devise very quickly. All the other parts such as videos, documents, iBooks, and App Data "REQUIRE" a wi-Fi connection to be able to cross connect them from device to device and it seems it can only do the backup to the iCloud Server once a day. i have never been able to get a document to be backed up twice in one day.

For Android devices the way to go is Titanium Backup. It will do everything you need for a back up, and as stated can save it to a DropBox account.

As for the rooting part if girlfriends 6 year old can do it you can to. As with anything there is a possibility of screwing it up but with the tools out there for the Droid X it is highly unlikely.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Yeah i've heard good things about Titanium Backup but is it worth it to root my phone? I don't even know how to root my phone. I heard there is risk of making the phone into a brick if it's rooted. Also, will Titanium work for recovering phone system on a new phone? Can it do an image back up?

Everything is worth to root your phone!

Let me tell you as an IT manager the sales people that have iPhones and iPads etc have made my life HELL with this iCloud thing. It DOES NOT work as advertised and is very very tempermental. And some of the things you are asking to back up are not backed up by iCloud. Even though iCloud documentation states it backs up device settings i have not been able to get it to work properly. I loose some random setting every time i try to restore a phone.

About the only thing that seems to work well is the photo part where you can get the photos on any devise very quickly. All the other parts such as videos, documents, iBooks, and App Data "REQUIRE" a wi-Fi connection to be able to cross connect them from device to device and it seems it can only do the backup to the iCloud Server once a day. i have never been able to get a document to be backed up twice in one day.

For Android devices the way to go is Titanium Backup. It will do everything you need for a back up, and as stated can save it to a DropBox account.

As for the rooting part if girlfriends 6 year old can do it you can to. As with anything there is a possibility of screwing it up but with the tools out there for the Droid X it is highly unlikely.

Exactly said!

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Sing it Schatzy62! LOL, I have suffered the same issues, icloud hasn't met the hype yet IMO. Tibu is my goto android app for many tasks, couldn't live with out it or Root Explorer and Dropbox

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

morcguy

Reaction score
There are lots of backup apps out there. iCloud is a scam, the free 5 gb is used up almost immediately and you have to pay for additional space.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Voiding your warranty (rooting) should not be required for this feature. Google needs to step up to the plate and make this built in and seamless.

nikecar

Reaction score
Apple would sue if Google tried to market anything closer to iCloud than what it does now.

Natey2

Reaction score
Voiding your warranty (rooting) should not be required for this feature. Google needs to step up to the plate and make this built in and seamless.

+1.

Also, some corporate Android apps like Good will not work on rooted devices if the corporate sysadmin configures the servers to disallow rooted/jailbroken devices; and many sysadmins do that.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited: