How can I turn the screen off without the power button?

KallDrexx

Reaction score
So this morning I woke up to find out my OG Droid's power button no longer functions. In order to turn the screen on I have to slide open the keyboard, and to turn it off I have to wait for the screen to go off automatically via the inactivity timer. Holding the power button does nothing. I also know this isn't a software issue because when I turned the phone off (via battery pull), holding the power button did not power on the phone, I had to plug it into a charger.

Unfortunately, Verizon wants me to pay $89 to get a refurb (since it's 1 month out of warranty) or to buy a new phone and start a new contract (I really would prefer to hold out buying a new phone until Q3).

So thus I wanted to ask, is there any way to turn the screen off without using the power button? I don't care if it's an app or widget, if I can find an easy way to turn the screen off I think I can work around this for a bit.

tnronin

Reaction score
First I'm NOT an old timer, so don't really listen to me.

Second, welcome aboard! Go introduce yourself in that forum. (somebody is going to say that)

Third, you can go on the market and do a search for the "lock screen" widget, I use the one by curved fish IIRC.

Fourth, if you do a search on droid forums you might find a thread about dis-assembling your D1 and cleaning/fixing that button.

This is the very reason I use the lock-screen widget.

I HTH and good luck to you.

sonicfreak360

Reaction score
So this morning I woke up to find out my OG Droid's power button no longer functions. In order to turn the screen on I have to slide open the keyboard, and to turn it off I have to wait for the screen to go off automatically via the inactivity timer. Holding the power button does nothing. I also know this isn't a software issue because when I turned the phone off (via battery pull), holding the power button did not power on the phone, I had to plug it into a charger.

Unfortunately, Verizon wants me to pay $89 to get a refurb (since it's 1 month out of warranty) or to buy a new phone and start a new contract (I really would prefer to hold out buying a new phone until Q3).

So thus I wanted to ask, is there any way to turn the screen off without using the power button? I don't care if it's an app or widget, if I can find an easy way to turn the screen off I think I can work around this for a bit.
Have you used spare parts to change what the power button does? Otherwise, the application, button saver (root)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
K

KallDrexx

Reaction score
First I'm NOT an old timer, so don't really listen to me.

Second, welcome aboard! Go introduce yourself in that forum. (somebody is going to say that)

Third, you can go on the market and do a search for the "lock screen" widget, I use the one by curved fish IIRC.

Fourth, if you do a search on droid forums you might find a thread about dis-assembling your D1 and cleaning/fixing that button.

This is the very reason I use the lock-screen widget.

I HTH and good luck to you.

thanks for the post. The lock screen widget by curved fish seems to enable or disable the lock screen, but it doesn't seem to actually activate the lock screen. Unless I am not seeing the one you are referring to.

button saver (root)
This seems to do what I want, but I need to root my phone I guess.

tnronin

Reaction score
I guess I am missing something. I use the lock screen widget to turn off my screen. I press it and it turns off.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

ETA. My bad droid-mania made The one I'm using.

OP
K

KallDrexx

Reaction score
Maybe I had the wrong app, I'll look some more.

tnronin

Reaction score
See my edit above.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
K

KallDrexx

Reaction score
Excellent! The Droid mania app works just like I hoped it would! :)

Thanks a lot