How can I increase the speed i get through tethering

Pwnanza

Reaction score
What im asking here, is when i did the speedtest.net mobile app i got
600 dl
and 700 ul
Now when im playing G-mod and other games on my using the wireless tethering app in the cyanogen mods, I am lucky when i see 100kbps ( i know this because i use speed meter pro). I have applied the nitric hack the just now applied the 3g/edge hack which is supposed to increase the speed of 3g, hence those numbers above.
Anyway, how do i get those nice big numbers up there while im gaming? That would be really nice

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Have you ran a speedtest on your computer to see if you are getting comparable speeds?

I haven't played G-Mod in quite some time, but some games (actually a lot of games) use as little bandwidth as possible, so that people with various ISPs can play happily. It is possible that this is what is happening.

Fluctuations can occur depending on signal strength, amount of devices on tower, and various other things.

A lot of the 3G "hacks" seem to not really do anything. In some cases the change was probably just coincidental (their speedtest they took 10 minutes ago prior to the change, they had slightly weaker signal or more people were using data at the time) and/or it has placebo effect (you want/expect good things to happen so you see them happen that way). There are some that do work for some carriers, but from what I have seen a lot of them are a waste of time.

Which brings me to my next question, what carrier do you have? Some carriers, like T-Mobile, throttles you after you hit a certain amount of bandwidth usage. Perhaps the carrier throttles certain ports.

I am totally just taking stabs in the dark, as there are tons of different reasons why speeds can fluctuate.

OP
P

Pwnanza

Reaction score
oh, i suppose i did leave out the darrier didnt i. Its verizon. also before the hack i was getting 256 ping on my friends server(ewww tht terrible ass ping) guess i should also be asking how to decrease the ping. alright heres the speed test from the pc speedteset,net from wifi tethereding on the phone
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1445901468.png

Snow02

Reaction score
oh, i suppose i did leave out the darrier didnt i. Its verizon. also before the hack i was getting 256 ping on my friends server(ewww tht terrible ass ping) guess i should also be asking how to decrease the ping. alright heres the speed test from the pc speedteset,net from wifi tethereding on the phone
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1445901468.png

Those are well within 3G average speed. Short of moving, you're not going to see anything better.

OP
P

Pwnanza

Reaction score
Well okay I can live with that I guess, buut what about ping is there any way to improve or is it to be forever stuck in high numberd triple digets? Its pretty hard to play a game when u have 250-450 ping in it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really as you are dependent on the tower there. After the signal hits the tower it has to go elsewhere to get to the internet...

OP
P

Pwnanza

Reaction score
Damn. Phone does not = solution to gaming then, cept for rts games I guess not fps

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well okay I can live with that I guess, buut what about ping is there any way to improve or is it to be forever stuck in high numberd triple digets? Its pretty hard to play a game when u have 250-450 ping in it
Nope. High latency is precisely the problem that my company has with users on mobile devices, aircards, MiFi's, etc using certain applications over Citrix. There's nothing you can do about it other than use a low latency wired internet connection.

Snow02

Reaction score
Nope. High latency is precisely the problem that my company has with users on mobile devices, aircards, MiFi's, etc using certain applications over Citrix. There's nothing you can do about it other than use a low latency wired internet connection.

Or use LTE. Average latency is well under 100 ms. In a good signal area you will likely see 30-60 ms pings.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Damn. Phone does not = solution to gaming then, cept for rts games I guess not fps

First mistake was thinking a mobile device could allow you to game.

The 13th Doctor

Reaction score
Well, I have to disagree and agree. Yeah a phone isn't the best solution for gaming or downloads, and yes signal, tower location and usage, and many other things will factor in. Also, your system if on a pc may have background service running which causes latency and bandwidth issues. As for disagreeement, I play Lord of the Rings Online daily for a few hours after the kids go down, and rarely have issues. As someone above stated, most online games, even MMOs use very low data packet transfer. In a months worth of 2 to 4 hrs a night on lotro, a friend of mine uses a dun hacked envtouch and only uses maybe 2gigs a month and has no issues in 24man raids. So I have to say both he and I do rather well playing online, and he only has evdo on that phone, unlike my d2g that runs on evdo3G.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I have to disagree and agree. Yeah a phone isn't the best solution for gaming or downloads, and yes signal, tower location and usage, and many other things will factor in. Also, your system if on a pc may have background service running which causes latency and bandwidth issues. As for disagreeement, I play Lord of the Rings Online daily for a few hours after the kids go down, and rarely have issues. As someone above stated, most online games, even MMOs use very low data packet transfer. In a months worth of 2 to 4 hrs a night on lotro, a friend of mine uses a dun hacked envtouch and only uses maybe 2gigs a month and has no issues in 24man raids. So I have to say both he and I do rather well playing online, and he only has evdo on that phone, unlike my d2g that runs on evdo3G.

If I'm not mistaken, 3G and EVDO are the same.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

xkemicalx

Reaction score
First mistake was thinking a mobile device could allow you to game.

My Android is fine for xbox live, i use it all the time for gaming i get a good 3 bars when connected to somebody in america on black ops and full 4 bars in england, takes a while when downloading big patches though like 2.0gb + could take a couple of hours and more