Can, Should I get thunder?

shizumie

Reaction score
Ok I live in an area were there is no 4g and likely no 4g for a little while. However I really want to get a 4g unlimited plan locked in (grandfathered) in case of future increase in 4g plan pricing. So my question is since im not in a 4g area can I even get a 4g phone activated with verizon? Also how well will the 3g work? I do need it to be a usable phone?
IF the answer is yes to both of those questions, my plan is to get the Tbolt lock in plan, and when i'm up for my 2 yr upgrade get a better 4g (hopefully there will be more options) and give tbolt to my wife.

Ok i know its long, but i have been debating this and looking on ebay all day, so i appreciate the help!

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
The answer is yes to both questions. And it has been confirmed Verizon is tiering data prices this summer when iPhone 5 is released

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

duc13

Reaction score
I also live in an area with out 4G. I am very happy with the thunderbolt. 3G works quite well. The only issue I had was the phone was always serching for a 4G signal. This drains the battery fast. There is a way to turn off 4G mode. Once i did this it was fine. You type in an access code through the phone dialer to get to a hidden menu. Google this, it is easy to do. Also you will need an extended battey, then the phone will last 24 hours per charge.

OP
shizumie

shizumie

Reaction score
The answer is yes to both questions. And it has been confirmed Verizon is tiering data prices this summer when iPhone 5 is released

Thanks a mill!! Looks like ill be thunderstruck!

Pumaro

Reaction score
And it has simultaneous talk and surf even on 3g.

sent via ThunderBolt

ziggy484

Reaction score
I also live in an area with out 4G. I am very happy with the thunderbolt. 3G works quite well. The only issue I had was the phone was always serching for a 4G signal. This drains the battery fast. There is a way to turn off 4G mode. Once i did this it was fine. You type in an access code through the phone dialer to get to a hidden menu. Google this, it is easy to do. Also you will need an extended battey, then the phone will last 24 hours per charge.

There is also an app that basically enables the hidden menu for you. This is good to have if you plan on going back and forth depending on what area your in

johnd09

Reaction score
I say go for it, they are having a few issues right now, but before the latest update problem it was working great and I figure it will once again when they send the update to fix the current problem.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

OP
shizumie

shizumie

Reaction score

There is also an app that basically enables the hidden menu for you. This is good to have if you plan on going back and forth depending on what area your in

Thanks zig, u know name of app? Orwill it be an easy find once i get bolt?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

iddanceaway

Reaction score
No 4G in Boise and the TB performs very well--but I'd go for the extended battery, pronto. Have fun--once you use it for even a little while you'll fall in love.

ziggy484

Reaction score

Thanks zig, u know name of app? Orwill it be an easy find once i get bolt?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Its called "lte switch"

ziggy484

Reaction score
For anyone with a new tb, or planning to get one... Turn off 4g if you dont have it in your area and see how the battery life is for a week or so before jumping to the extended battery, its bulky, changes the feel of the phone, and isnt compatible with most cases