How can I download files to the "external" SD card?

JediBeavis

Reaction score
I want to be able to download files (videos, songs, whatever) directly to the SD card. By default it goes to the internal storage Downloads folder. How do I change this? I've tried steps for Firefox to change the download location, but it didn't work. This is a GS5 with Kit Kat 4.2.2 on it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Downloading to anything other than internal memory is totally under the control of the app and very few support that. Your best option is to move it after download if you can't find an option in the app.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I want to be able to download files (videos, songs, whatever) directly to the SD card. By default it goes to the internal storage Downloads folder. How do I change this? I've tried steps for Firefox to change the download location, but it didn't work. This is a GS5 with Kit Kat 4.2.2 on it.
From what I understand, KK does not allow the direct download to the SD card.

NOVICE

Reaction score
You can root and avoid the security features of KitKat that prevent you from directly accessing the SD card. That's about it for the time being.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Very easy on a stock S5. Enable developer options. Inside developer options, enable USB debugging. Now possible to load data directly to the SD card while phone is plugged into the PC.

Developer options enabled by tapping on build number 7 times. I think it's the build number? This also works on the S3.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Very easy on a stock S5. Enable developer options. Inside developer options, enable USB debugging. Now possible to load data directly to the SD card while phone is plugged into the PC.

Developer options enabled by tapping on build number 7 times. I think it's the build number? This also works on the S3.

Yes it's the build number. This feature should work on any device 4.2.2 or above.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
The lack of write access to the SD card for most apps has ruined one of my favorite games, since it seems to be hardcoded to store save game data directly to SD rather than internal. So now, every time I play, I'm starting from the beginning again - no saving progress allowed. Grr...

OP
JediBeavis

JediBeavis

Reaction score
Downloading to anything other than internal memory is totally under the control of the app and very few support that. Your best option is to move it after download if you can't find an option in the app.

I found instructions to change the download location for Firefox, but it doesn't work. It still downloads to the internal storage.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Yeah, discovered this when I rooted then found that my MicroSD couldn't be selected as a backup location for Titanium Backup (which is kind of extremely important)! Led me to the fix. If you are rooted, there's a free app called nextapp sdfix that does the mod to the xml file for you.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Don't know anything about this BUT, why not remove the sd card, plug it into your computer, move the files to it and return it to the S5?

tomthbomb

Reaction score

Did this, created a folder on the sd and tried to move music to the folder. Would not move. Ideas?

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I moved music from my PC to my sd card by plugging my s5 into my PC (that worked). when it comes to downloading to sd card on phone....unless your rooted it's a no go:(

shochman

Reaction score
The My Files app, that comes with the S5, can move files to the sd card. The Gallary app also supports moving photos to an external sd card.

WTF??

Reaction score
So I just bought the S5, and found out after I put all my music and pics on a new larger SD card, Im not able to edit/delete/move anything that sits on the SD card? Why the restriction and how can we go around this?