How can I create a shortcut for a PDF document on one of my home screens - Droid RAZR

CoachJohn

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am new to the Droid RAZR and new to the forum, so I apologize up front for asking what I'm sure is going to be a routine question for most of you.

I downloaded a couple of files from my computer to my phone, but I would like to create shortcuts to each of them on one of my home screens.

I have scoured the internet and these forums and have seen several different people post how to use Astro File Manager, which is what I have for an application. Their advice says to either > Menu > Add or long-press on the home screen, both of which bring up "Add to Home", then click on Shortcuts > Astro, then find the file, etc. But, when I click on Astro, it just immediately places a shortcut to Astro on the Home Screen, which is not what I want to do....

If I go into Astro, I can find the specific files I am looking for, but I can't figure out how to get them to my home screen. If I long press on them, the only options that pop up are Copy, Move, Rename, Delete....plus Details, Open As, and Send.

So, can anyone please help me. Each of the files is a textbook that I copied from a disc to my PC, then copied to my phone, and all I want to do is create a shortcut icon to each of them separately without having to open a file manager and navigate the different folders in there to locate and open them....

Thanks,

John

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Greetings,

I am new to the Droid RAZR and new to the forum, so I apologize up front for asking what I'm sure is going to be a routine question for most of you.

I downloaded a couple of files from my computer to my phone, but I would like to create shortcuts to each of them on one of my home screens.

I have scoured the internet and these forums and have seen several different people post how to use Astro File Manager, which is what I have for an application. Their advice says to either > Menu > Add or long-press on the home screen, both of which bring up "Add to Home", then click on Shortcuts > Astro, then find the file, etc. But, when I click on Astro, it just immediately places a shortcut to Astro on the Home Screen, which is not what I want to do....

If I go into Astro, I can find the specific files I am looking for, but I can't figure out how to get them to my home screen. If I long press on them, the only options that pop up are Copy, Move, Rename, Delete....plus Details, Open As, and Send.

So, can anyone please help me. Each of the files is a textbook that I copied from a disc to my PC, then copied to my phone, and all I want to do is create a shortcut icon to each of them separately without having to open a file manager and navigate the different folders in there to locate and open them....

Thanks,

John

John, Adobe reader can be placed on your desktop as it's own shortcut and if opened it will give you one press access to all your most recently opened PDF files.

There is a way to place shortcuts I'm the desktop for specific functions through "app actions", but it doesn't seem to like doing so for PDF files. I tried through several file managers but they keep telling me the PDF files are invalid. If I get it to work I'll report back.

Edit: Ok John, so I found a file manager that can create desktop shortcuts on its own and I was able to make one for a PDF. "Jumble file manager" will allow desktop shortcuts by long pressing on a file, selecting "Link" and then choosing OK.

ES File Explorer also allows direct shortcuts by long pressing and scrolling down the list to Shortcut!

There may other file managers that work as well but at least this this does what you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

butchyon

Reaction score
Yes, install "ES File Explorer" (free). I formerly used Astro, too, but now I use ES, specifically because it gives you the option to create shortcuts to almost any kind of file stored on your phone. Astro doesn't.