hotspot apps

jdblake

Reaction score
Is there a good free hotspot app for a Droid X smartphone. I'm looking for and app that's free to download, and free of any user / service fees.
As I am new to the world for smartphones, I'm not sure what's available, or how to go about setting it up.

jdblake :)

Brian1

Reaction score
Hotspot is not consider free through verizon any more. They have been removed from the market app. But you may be able to find them using the google search site. Also to have used them in the pat you would have to root your phone. Brian

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root that baby and ill make sure you get wifi tether which is what you're looking for i believe

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
J

jdblake

Reaction score
As I said before, I'm new to the world of smartphone and do not know the lingo. What exactly is rooting a phone, how do I go about doing it. And what are the pros can cons?

Thanks

jdblake :)

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna post the steps u need to root and all of that, all of which can easily be found here in the forums, but if you are not interested in rooting or messing with the phone, you could get the app "PDAnet" by June Fabrics. Although Verizon blocked it on the market you can still get the app other ways and the free version will work just fine (with exception of https) I have had a few friends and family who don't seriously need tethering and have used PDAnet without any problems.

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are sooooo many threads on rooting and i think it would serve you well to read about it before doing it. Get reading

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

Rocko

Reaction score
Quit stealing. That is why us rooters are getting lumped in with thieves.

liferefugee

Reaction score
You really should know that rooting nulls your warranty, and using any hotspot app other than your carrier's official service violates your terms of service and leaves you open to bad things.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
That is why us rooters are getting lumped in with thieves.

Are there any rooted users who are paying for a tethering plan? :^)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Rocko

Reaction score
That is why us rooters are getting lumped in with thieves.

Are there any rooted users who are paying for a tethering plan? :^)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

oh boy another tethering morality debacle dancedroid
It's not a morality issue, it's the tethering brought heat to us rooters and they are locking down the apps when root is detected, this didn't happen before.

OP
J

jdblake

Reaction score
If I use the app that came with the Driod X I purchased, and I pay $30.00 a month for unlimited data usage, why should I have to pay another $20.00 to use the Hotspot app provided?

jdblake:angry: