horrible battery. help...?

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
before i went to bed, i charged my motorola droid. it was 100% full when i went to bed and when i woke up, it was 80% full even though i didn't use it all night. i woke up at around 9:30, listed to music for an hour while i went jogging, and used my phone for other purposes a little bit after, too. by 1:00, my battery was already at 20%! i keep wifi, gps, bluetooth, and syncing off at all times, and i use a task manager to make sure unnecessary apps aren't running in the background. does anybody have any suggestions?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
If you are using a task manager to auto-kill processes the first thing to do would be to turn that off. There is a possibility that it is killing a process that the phone needs so the phone restarts it, then task killer kills it again, the phoen restarts it again, etc hurting battery life. The second thing is to go under Settings -> Battery Usage to see what is taking up your battery life.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
before i went to bed, i charged my motorola droid. it was 100% full when i went to bed and when i woke up, it was 80% full even though i didn't use it all night. i woke up at around 9:30, listed to music for an hour while i went jogging, and used my phone for other purposes a little bit after, too. by 1:00, my battery was already at 20%! i keep wifi, gps, bluetooth, and syncing off at all times, and i use a task manager to make sure unnecessary apps aren't running in the background. does anybody have any suggestions?

Hate to tell you this but that sounds like normal battery life for a smart phone. Your solution? Get some spare batteries, a cradle to charge it in when you are not using it, and get a couple of those cheap wall chargers off of ebay for your spare batteries.

That's what I've done and I don't worry about battery use any longer. And it's not that big of an investment. Batteries you can pick up cheap on Amazon.

safekraker

Reaction score
Battery question

Is there different batteries that work in the droid? Or is there one model?

Walt

gomets11

Reaction score
Is there different batteries that work in the droid? Or is there one model?

Walt

This is the battery:

Amazon.com: Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service

This is the spare battery charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Droi..._1_3?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1278703712&sr=1-3

I have one spare battery and one wall charger. I also have a car charger in all of my cars, a USB cord for all of my computers and a spare wall charger for when I'm near a power outlet and just want to keep the Droid plugged in.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what does the battery info screen (or spare parts, if applicable) indicate as the culprit?

before i went to bed, i charged my motorola droid. it was 100% full when i went to bed and when i woke up, it was 80% full even though i didn't use it all night.
Any reason why you're not letting it charge all night? I'm kinda curious as this approach of charging and then disconnecting it for the night seems to be fairly common. Do you need it disconnected while you're sleeping for some reason?

and i use a task manager to make sure unnecessary apps aren't running in the background. does anybody have any suggestions?
That could definitely be a problem. It can't be said enough:
DO NOT use a task manager to "improve battery life" -- especially if you're not very familiar with what you're doing... which is unlikely, IMO, if you think that background apps are killing your battery. Please see all the various app killer/memory management/Android multitasking threads and guides.

Last edited:

safekraker

Reaction score
I do let it charge all night. I'm getting by but when I want to use it on the golf course it goes down fast.

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
takeshi- i'm still not sure what is causing this but it says android core apps is taking up 10% so i'm guessing one of the apps i installed is killing my battery. and i heard its bad to leave your phone charged overnight cause you can overcharge the battery so thats why i charge it before bed and unplug before i fall asleep.

i uninstalled my task manager so i'm hoping my battery life will improve. thanks for informing me about them because i thought task managers helped the battery!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
takeshi- i'm still not sure what is causing this but it says android core apps is taking up 10% so i'm guessing one of the apps i installed is killing my battery. and i heard its bad to leave your phone charged overnight cause you can overcharge the battery so thats why i charge it before bed and unplug before i fall asleep.

i uninstalled my task manager so i'm hoping my battery life will improve. thanks for informing me about them because i thought task managers helped the battery!

Please do not give out information that is not true. You cannot overcharge the new Lithium batteries. Whomever you heard that from is very misinformed. You also don't need to run it down completely before you charge it.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I think there is still a perception that the Droid needs some "down time". People notice if you turn it off and then plug it in to charge that it boots up, which their non-smart phone did not do, and they think it's not getting a rest or something.

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
really? cause the guy at the verizon store told me that. sorry to misinform you guys. i thought cause he works there he would know what he's talking about....

Reaction score
really? cause the guy at the verizon store told me that. sorry to misinform you guys. i thought cause he works there he would know what he's talking about....

BAWHAHAHAHA! Sorry but most of the people at the Verizon store couldn't find their back side with a map and a friend.