Honeycomb To Have Minimum Specs... Require HD and Dual Core

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
honeycomb.jpg

Rumor has it that our much loved Android OS has adopted something brought on by Microsoft’s WP7 system and now we might be seeing a minimum specification requirement for all devices. Word on the street is Google might be making dual core a minimum requirement for Honeycomb based devices. The word doesn’t stop there; many users have expressed their dislike for manufactures lowballing of screen resolution, and so Google took that on as well, and required manufactures to put a minimum of a 720P display. This means the two most commonly lowballed features and which I think are also the most important are now being controlled by Google.

Now this is still just in rumor form, but seeing all these new tablets having high resolution displays and dual core processors, I have no reason not to believe it. Are there any more minimum requirements that you can think of which would be necessary for all Android tablets to be perfect?

Source (Rumor: Honeycomb to Require Dual-Core Processor, Hi-Def Resolution | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read that it requires a 7 inch screen. that would make it for tablets only so I strongly doubt if this is true.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Minimum requirements were rumored for gingerbread as well...ill believe it when I see it announced by Google.

Jmart922

Reaction score
^^^ I agree, people have been saying this since froyo, ahhh rumors

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
PC Mag dropped the story with sources so its pretty much a given that this story is correct.

Sent from my Droid

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd rather they worry about the UI/GUI... processors and display with take care of themselves with the market (i.e. competition) but having a dual-core and hi-res screen doesn't mean squat when the manufacturer ruins it with a crappy GUI overlaid (eg. blur, sense).

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
PC Mag dropped the story with sources so its pretty much a given that this story is correct.

Sent from my Droid

Still SERIOUSLY doubt it. Give me a link from Google with those words coming out of their mouth, and I will believe it.

Things like this are said and never come to happen in this world.

It just makes little sense for something like this to happen :p

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I hope we find out more Thursday.

Honestly, I don't mind it. It forces the hardware manufacturers to make a better product. I assume the next iteration (Icecream?) will be one that works on phones as well as tabs, like iOS? I hope they release the SDK soon so people can start making apps for Honeycomb tablets.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I hope we find out more Thursday.

Honestly, I don't mind it. It forces the hardware manufacturers to make a better product. I assume the next iteration (Icecream?) will be one that works on phones as well as tabs, like iOS? I hope they release the SDK soon so people can start making apps for Honeycomb tablets.

Are you implying that Honeycomb will be tablet-only? :icon_eek:
Do you have some inside information the rest of us don't, or are you just making things up (or getting them from someone who probably is)?

It makes no sense that Google would release a version of a mobile phone OS that only works on tablets. It is simply ludicrous. If tablet manufacturers want their own special Google OS, they can use Chrome.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
In other words you'll have to buy a new $599 smartphone every year to keep up with the OS upgrades.

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
The story implied that it will be tablet only. It says there is supposedly a 7 inch screen minimum, which would rule out cell phones. And the Dell Streak, whatever the heck it's classified as.

The way I see it (and this is just speculation. Guess I have to clarify that here.) Google probably doesn't have all of their crap together when it comes to Honeycomb just yet, but they want to get something out there that works on tablets because they are probably seeing all of these sub par tablets out there running a version of Android that doesn't really play well with tablets, and they know that if this keeps up, it will soil Android's name.

So, release honeycomb for tablets only for now, give devs time to come up with apps for said tablets, see how everything is working out, and while all this is going on, they're probably already working on the next version of the OS to work on smaller devices as well as tablets.

Maybe that's a stupid line of thinking, but I would like to think that they have some sort of plan and reason for doing it this way, if the rumor is true.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Sent from my Droid

Still SERIOUSLY doubt it. Give me a link from Google with those words coming out of their mouth, and I will believe it.

PC Mag is pretty darn reputable. If they break a story it's usually set in stone. It's not hard to believe. Nvidias CEO, Cho I think his name is, has already said that Honeycomb is something VERY VERY exciting and great looking and has praised the developers. Tech evolves tank and Single Cores are at the end of their lives. Nobody will be talking about Single Cores after January 6th.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

PC Mag is pretty darn reputable. If they break a story it's usually set in stone. It's not hard to believe. Nvidias CEO, Cho I think his name is, has already said that Honeycomb is something VERY VERY exciting and great looking and has praised the developers. Tech evolves tank and Single Cores are at the end of their lives. Nobody will be talking about Single Cores after January 6th.

I'm not going to argue anymore on the subject as you aren't going to budge, but just want to say that once jan 6 comes and goes, only then will we see if what you say here is true.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I remember speculation that 2.X would be the low-end (say my Droid ain't low-end!) phone version of Android and that 3.X would be for high-end devices. Sounds like this may now be true. :(

Still, it's refreshing to hear that new devices will have to be good to get the best. :D