Homescreen Orientation

jamesrgeib

Reaction score
Perhaps the phone is designed such that it is not supposed to auto-rotate the home screen without the keyboard out, and the real bug is that it will auto-rotate when first set up for a short while. After a certain amount of time, (hours/days) it begins to do what it's supposed to do and NOT rotate automatically?

Anyway, I'll be exchanging my Moto Droid in the next few days for another one due to a different problem I'm having, and I'll try to remember to post here if the new one auto-rotates for a short time after I first start using it.

Samurai26

Reaction score
Have had my droid for 3 weeks or so, and the default home launcher DOES NOT change orientation w/o sliding out keyboard, but LauncherPro DOES change orientation w/o sliding the keyboard out

nlayla

Reaction score
LauncherPro Beta

Hi
thanks for response. helix seems good too. recently i discovered launcherpro and i absolutely love it. works exactly how i would want my droid.

jigawatt

Reaction score
Ok i'm about to go insane... I keep reading posts everywhere saying that the phone will NOT go into landscape when using the "Quick Search Box", but I've been using it since day one (I got the phone about a month ago). No more than 30 minutes ago, my phone quit doing it... but I managed to get it to allow me to use it once more and I also managed to snag a pic of it while it stayed on screen.

Ignore the Macy's... my buddy's phone doesn't let him search places nearby so he always texts for directions ;)

Last edited:

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am not sure what the search box has to do with this thread, which is about home screen rotation. Respectfully I do not think your photo proves anything. It can be done simply by sliding the keyboard closed and quickly taking a pic, or just by using helix.

jigawatt

Reaction score
Oh yeah, because I'm really going to go out of my way to start a bunch of crap by posting a fake picture of a bone stock phone. Unbelievable. Someone comes for support only to get told he's a liar.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I did not call you a liar. i just said it does not prove anything. This is not worth arguing about. Just get the Helix app and you are all set.

jigawatt

Reaction score
Here... watch. its a poor quality camera, but it still captures it while it is working. I can manage to still get it to work, I'll even go as far to prove that I don't have any software installed to show that it REALLY does work at times.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Interesting that it did not rotate when you went back to the home screen at the end. Does your home screen ever rotate? Weird behavior, but thanks for the video.

jigawatt

Reaction score
home never rotates. only does with keyboard slid up. Only the QSB manages to rotates when it wants to now. I have managed to figure out how to get it to work... but I have to click browser, magnifying glass, magnifying glass and the QSB pops up in landscape. Give it a shot, see if yours will do it. I never had to go that far to get it to work like that before.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
That works for me too. I wonder if it is a different QSB though cause you were in the browser. When I hit the mag glass from the home screen, I can see a tiny area of the background showing through just above the keyboard. Going with your method, I do not see that sliver of background.

jigawatt

Reaction score
That's what doesn't make sense... I never had to go through the browser to get the QSB to work like that. But now, that's the only way it'll ever come up.

HA... I just got it to pop up under alarm clock too. There is a bug here ;)

Edit, also under camera.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Same here. When I do it in camera it only goes to landscape and wont go back to portrait. I think it behaves the same way as the app you launch it from does. I think that sorta makes sense.

jigawatt

Reaction score
it'll do portrait and landscape in alarm clock. Either way, if your QSB bar starts to work the way I described it, you'll know that I'm not insane. It may take time, but it could happen, just once for the sake of my sanity.