Homescreen Orientation

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
theres a 36 page thread going on the moto site about this issue.. this is just a nicked photo
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16334
i noticed mine was auto rotating when i got it- then mysteriously stopped. seems im not the only one.. true this phone could be running any number of things to make the homescreen auto rotate but i havent rooted yet cuz im on the telus milestone

tktouch12

Reaction score
on bugless beast (um, i think it was .7.4) the homescreen auto rotated. it really annoyed me actually

cpinto

Reaction score
Hi. My moto droid will not reorient to landscape until I slide open the keyboard. Only happens in homescreen. Other apps reorient fine, browser, etc. Did reorient correctly until earlier today. Have checked settings, did 2 -battery reboots, but alas, no fix. Total noob 2 Android. What am I missing?

I'll agree it is strange. Mine auto rotated on the home screen, as well.

Never really like seeing it flip back and forth all the time, so I disabled it.

After I started installing some apps the home screen stopped changing even if enabled again.

I'm usually the first one to be skeptical when I see threads like this, but I've experienced this one first hand.

Strange.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stock (non rooted) Droid, with no home replacement, has not and does not rotate to landscape on the home screen with keyboard closed (it has to be open).

This topic has been floating around since launch, and despite asking many times by many different people, no one has EVER provided video proof of this. A picture is too easy to doctor.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Yep, easy to do that photo. Just open the keyboard, close it and take a quick photo. There is a bit of lag before it rotates back.

Droidster163

Reaction score
I have my droid rooted with sholes mod 2.0.3 and my screen auto rotates without opening the keyboard. Its really annoying and I can't seem to turn it off.

andyc

Reaction score
Stock (non rooted) Droid, with no home replacement, has not and does not rotate to landscape on the home screen with keyboard closed (it has to be open).

This topic has been floating around since launch, and despite asking many times by many different people, no one has EVER provided video proof of this. A picture is too easy to doctor.

I'd gladly provide video proof of this if I had another means to do so. Would a mirror suffice?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Would a mirror suffice?

That would be a good trick. I think you would have to use 2 mirrors though. If you try it remember is has to be a stock Droid NOT running any home screen replacements.

MTPOKT

Reaction score
Yes, this is my first post. I came here to find answers to a couple of questions, and I did. This forum is a wealth of information for Droid owners.

Back on topic... I was looking for answers as to why my dial pad (stock) did not rotate to landscape... ever... and I would up here.

I usually just browse and don't offer much input. Through reading this and another similar thread, I honestly couldn't remember if my screen rotated without the keypad open. I do though remember the first video of this phone I had ever seen. If you forward to about 11:24 and watch, you'll see once he resolved the camera issue and closes the keypad, the display automatically rotates to portrait.

I know.. I know... that's the problem we're all having right? We swear that our phones rotated to landscape either last night, last week, or prior to the update. Are we nuts??

This video was created and posted on 11/4/2009. Prior to the update that fixed the camera and changed the unlock bar from radial to straight.

I'm not affiliated with the source, just posting this as reference..

iPhone 3GS vs Motorola Droid: DogFight, Pt 1

dylanthecat

Reaction score
This is normal for all stock phones. When the keyboard is closed the home screen is in portrait as designed. Am I missing the intent of your post?

nlayla

Reaction score
Homescreen suppose to orientate

The phone might be defective if it doesn't rotate at the homescreen. It is supposed to rotate...portrait...or...landscape...depending how you hold your phone. My first droid rotated at homescreen just fine while the keyboard was closed. It was nice, I miss that feature. It rotated just fine. Eversince I got this droid replacement phone, it doesn't do that. This replacement phone is "refurbished-like new". I had to get a new phone because the volume was going in and out. Not all droids are perfect. But if you get a perfect one, keep it in good condition. Try not to drop it or water spill on it.

Anyway, I'd go to the verizon store and ask them why it doesn't rotate anymore. COuld be an app that we downloaded? They might make you do a factory reset, like they did with my 1st droid. So yea, not sure what the cause for it to stop rotate orientation.

Last edited:

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Really? Your first post and you bring this thread back alive? If you want it to rotate install helix launcher. I will still stick to my statement that stock phones do not rotate and never did. I am running helix and have the feature turned off as it is annoying.