Homemade Droid Dock

dogjustice

Reaction score
I like your rig. I left my wire hanging free so I can easily pick the phone up and look at it w/out having to unplug it. Seems like many people were building cardboard docks for awhile which I found to be a pain. It doesn't get any easier than the book end dock. I'm using two now. One for my nightstand and one by my computer. I like the Seidio dock very much but I found it difficult to get my phone out of it when I was half asleep. Plus I'm lazy as hell.

I forgot to mention that I found some nice magnets at People of Walmart. Four pack for like four bucks. They seem to work well.

Last edited:

A.Brooks

Reaction score
I created one out of foam and gaffers tape. Put a DROID logo on it, works like a charm, and looks actually pretty good. Already made one for my buddy's iPhone. Of course at home I have my docking station, but at work didn't wanna buy a 2nd one. So I've got this for now, I'm happy so far, thinking about modding it a little bit to make it where I don't have to attach the cord manually, where I can just slide it into the dock and it plug in.

billynair

Reaction score
any insight an a more specific location for the magnet? I have seen people say between the google logo and the battery door, but i am getting better readings up between the speaker hole and the door, and i can always get the "Car Dock" but the "multimedia Station" is tricky. it seems like you need to slide it so the magnet is halfway over the door. I am guessing that is the polarity on the side of the magnet, but if i flip the magnet over i get nothing, maybe the car dock intermittently... has anyone pulled apart a "real" dock? maybe they can get measurements?

billynair

Reaction score
Ok got it!!!

I played around with a small magnet and tested the location on a "REAL" dock station, and found that the magnet sensor is actually behind the battery door. If you have a big magnet it will trigger it from farther away, so the smaller ones are better to find the location. If you open the door you will see a silver clip like thing (2 rivets and a sponge on top to hold the battery), that is where the sensor is, better reading on the right rivet. For car/desk flip the magnet around to get one or the other.

ANYWAY... here is my desk dock (multimedia station), made out of a Cup O'Noodles cup!! (like my friend said, if i waited one minute he would have been stoked - 4:20)

Reaction score
I played around with a small magnet and tested the location on a "REAL" dock station, and found that the magnet sensor is actually behind the battery door. If you have a big magnet it will trigger it from farther away, so the smaller ones are better to find the location. If you open the door you will see a silver clip like thing (2 rivets and a sponge on top to hold the battery), that is where the sensor is, better reading on the right rivet. For car/desk flip the magnet around to get one or the other.

ANYWAY... here is my desk dock (multimedia station), made out of a Cup O'Noodles cup!! (like my friend said, if i waited one minute he would have been stoked - 4:20)

lol I have the same Nostromo as you have :)
Sorry that was off-topic but it caught my eye.
Resourceful but I personally don't like it :p

billynair

Reaction score
I use that nostromo for work, i automate legal forms and i have all the buttons programmed to do different tasks, so frekn helpful, i can blast through forms 3-4 times faster than the next person!

As for the desk mount, i thought it was more funny than anything, I was more testing the angles and magnet locations, but it works, so, i might hang onto it ;-)

ezeStand

Reaction score
Hopefully not out of place with a slight product placement on this thread, but the ezeStand started out as a home made design since we happened to have access to a 3D Printer (uPrint from Diimension) I went through 6 iterations of the design before I was happy with it and the key features are that it works with aftermarket covers/cases and holds the phone either landscape or portrait. Multimedia dock mode works of course with a built in magnet.

After coworkers all wanted one, I decided to tool it up and sell it online. We've sold about 5000 so far! Having fun with this first entrepreneurial project. Since we started we have tooled up a second version for the Droid X. They are just $12.99 with free shipping or $15.99 with a right angle micro USB cable. Website link is below.

Thanks!

garringt

Reaction score
Droid X multimedia Dock

OK here's my attempt at a dock that you can build for less than $1 in about 15 minutes. Hope you like it:

photostream

Here are the instructions: [video=youtube;1XajnNnpyzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XajnNnpyzo"]YouTube - ‪Droid x multimedia dock‬‏[/video]

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
That's a good deal, i have a car mount that clamps on to the air vent which i paid 20 bukz for.. and its not branded in any way... well unless you consider "cheap Chinese product" a brand. :)

dodgerblue

Reaction score
That us an awesome deal! I will be making my own today. Thanks for the idea!....
Don't think I have anymore cassettes around the house tho....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums