Home won't rotate?

wkearney99

Reaction score
Just noticed my Home screens won't rotate. They're stuck in portrait mode.

Yes, I have auto rotate turned on.

Apps themselves DO rotate. I can be in the browser and turn the phone and it will automatically screen accordingly. Same thing in other apps, they rotate properly. I can put the phone into the home dock and it rotates properly (Use the back button to exit the dock app). The Home screens WILL show up as rotated if I access them while it's in the dock. But as soon as I pick up the phone (keeping it landscape oriented) the Home screen immediately switches back to portrait mode.

I can make it rotate by opening the keyboard.

But it will not rotate the Home screen if I turn the phone. I seem to recall it used to be able to do this, am I mistaken? If not, clearly this is some sort of bug.

nyvideo

Reaction score
Mine only rotates the home screen when I slide the keyboard out. When i close the keyboard it goes back to portrait. Apps rotate fine automatically.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you using a third party home launcher ?

If so it will be a different settings menu that you will have to access to change the auto-rotate options

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Already brought up in another thread, no, unless you install a a launcher that is an app like Pro Launcher, it does not rotate.

Panamakevin

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately, (or fortunately sometimes heh heh, i am on the fence about that feature) it was changed after updating to the froyo... I remember being able to do so on older OS versions with my D1

phrozen087

Reaction score
I initially thought mine did the same thing where home rotated at first then stopped rotating. I think it may have just been my imagination in retrospect. I installed ZEAM launcher and now it rotates.

bsubenvis

Reaction score
I'm just glad my phone isn't broken. Hopefully they address it in a future update, not a deal breaker though. Anybody have an educated guess as to why they would disable it?

danwanna

Reaction score
I always disabled mine when using LP or AWD in the past. I found that a lot of times I powered on and unlocked my phone before I got it in position and would have to wait for it to flip back and forth.

I don't know if that is the reason behind it or not, but I am in the camp that prefers it not to flip unless I slide out the keyboard or dock.

[EDIT] I fully support having the option to rotate though. It seems silly to not at least give us the choice.

OP
W

wkearney99

Reaction score
I fully support having the option to rotate though. It seems silly to not at least give us the choice.

Yeah, that'd be good. There's a bit of inconsistency in how rotation is handled. Sometimes it snaps right around, other times it's dog-slow, and other times it won't rotate at all (the home screen). The lack of consistency is a bit of a usability problem. One you can certainly 'live with' once you understand it.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The only reason I installed launcher pro was to get the home screen to rotate.
It works just fine for me.

Blackbird71

Reaction score
Already brought up in another thread, no, unless you install a a launcher that is an app like Pro Launcher, it does not rotate.

I have to call BS on this answer that I keep seeing. I just got my D2G last Friday, and the home screen was most definitely rotating. As of this morning (the following Wednesday), home no longer rotates unless the keyboard is slid out.

A factory reset briefly restored this capability, but once it finished syncing data, it was gone again.

Please stop pretending that this issue is not real!!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It may be possible that your home screen rotated, but the fact is it's not really an issue because it happens to everyone. If you want a home screen that rotates then pick up launcher pro or adw launcher, they both have free options and are far more customizable than the stock launcher.

tappin and a talkin